Strand SL 23/50 zoom lamp holder

vinntec

Hi - one of our Strand SL 23/50 has arcing on the lamp holder, so I am looking at replacing it after the current show. Does anyone know of anyone with replacement lamp holders for them?

10/10 have G9.5 GKV lamp holders http://www.10outof10...mp_Holders.html

Don't know if they fit the SL though, sorry.

On the diagram here, the mounting base looks kinda similar:

http://www.strandarc...ts_usa_1999.pdf

And from the Strand site diagram http://www.strandlighting.com/clientuploads/directory/downloads/SL_Parts_List_Disc_07Feb12.pdf which doesn't say "USA" on it but uses the same Strand part number for the lamp holder/cable.

I'll keep having a Google...

Kevin

Incidentally, I suspect that changing the lamp holder in an SL 23/50 might also be a challenge - we have only had them for a few months. The lamp housing is a large fitting which bayonet fits into the bottom of the lantern so that's the easy part... So if anyone has done it in the past and can remember the golden rules to follow, such as order of disassembly etc, that would be helpful as well.

The couple of SL lampholders I had to change were a mare! The steel machine screws that hold the lampholder on to the aluminium casting fuse themselves in place and sheared off in one fixture when we tried to shift 'em.

Luckily the customer whose lantern it was had a sense of humour when it cost him 5 times as much for a complete assembly - we never sold many SL's after that weirdly <_<

Good luck! Changing an SL lamp holder is possibly my least-favourite lantern maintenance task.

The lamp burner assembly is held together with three steel screws that go in from the back. The trouble is, these screws drive into an aluminium block. As the units are used, and the temperature of the lamp burner cycles between hot and cold, the two metals expand and contract at different rates. Over time, as this process repeats time and time again, you end up with steel screws pretty solidly bound into the aluminium casting - and the screw heads are made of cheese, so any serious attempts to get them out results in a completely rounded screw head. You're going to need some drill bits which are new and sharp to drill out the screws which won't come out in the usual fashion, a Helicoil kit to re-thread the hole, a lot of patience, and a good supply of swear-words.

We, like many SL users, have been buying up second-hand SLs to cannibalise for spares for our stock (we have about 100 SLs altgoether in our lantern stock) - it's hugely easier to just swap a working lamp burner out for a duff one.

Ouch! Thanks guys that's very helpful. No wonder SLs disappear on EBay as soon as they appear! We got our's (x 6) from White Light (second hand) and they have been brilliant and so useful they have been in heavy use since we got them towards the end of last year.

• 2 weeks later...
Just an update to let you know that following all the advice from both this forum and WhiteLight, our chief LX got it apart in one piece and fitted a generic lamp holder and it is now as good as new. We will be inspecting all the other SLs in the summer and see if any others need this treatment. We did bid for the "real" ones on EBay but were outbid, and I bet I know who by ;-)

Archived