Thomann Decotruss

paulears

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much hassle is it to import things like that?

I've had small items from china but always bought on ebay and shipped with one of the major carriers so nice and easy, just annoying being charged £13 handling fee by UPS for collecting £5 of import VAT.....

How much hassle is it to import things like that?

I've had small items from china but always bought on ebay and shipped with one of the major carriers so nice and easy, just annoying being charged £13 handling fee by UPS for collecting £5 of import VAT.....

You need the patience of a saint and be prepared to compromise. For the higher level stuff they will use a courier, so delivery times are not too much of a problem. But, for example on the 1st I ordered 4 '90W' LED PARS, yesterday I received (via DHL) 2 small '70w' LED moving heads. They cost around the same price from this supplier, so I am not totally out of pocket, but I have no use for them... The seller has acknowledged the error, but we still have to come to an arrangement of what to do about them. The cost of returning them is about 30-40% of the purchase price, plus I got stung by DHL for VAT and Duty. I have already made several phone calls about reclaim the tax back, if/when returning them. But that will be a long paper pushing job, and will not include DHL's 'Other/Admin' charges.

At least this seller has good English :-)

BTW Paul, can you send me details of your supplier of those LED washes.

Tow.

The thing with all these businesses is that they really don't understand what they sell. This, plus the communication problem cause the odd problem. I always do as much reminding as I can before they ship.

My rule is simply never order more in one batch than you could afford to lose - so I ordered the wash lights in batches of 4 (2 cases of 2 units) When they arrived and were fine, I ordered another batch. The quantity discounts offered are small, so not worth considering against the shipment checking option.

Twelve quid isn't that bad - I treat it like extra tax. Of course what you pay does depend on what they declare the cost as. Sometimes they declare random values, which usually work to your advantage. I always work on the £12+5%+20% figure in my calculations.

Quality wise, very happy indeed - the only slight annoyance is mega bright DMX present light on the front that flashes red (and is now covered in black tape) and the fans are a bit louder than I expected.

Beam flatness and sharpness is really good. The savings have been made by using a single punched disk for the fixed gobos, and only using the normal round replaceable ones on the rotating gobo wheel. Dimming is good. The two gobo wheels are perhaps further away from each other than ideal, as the sharp focus point on both is quite far apart on the focus range, but oddly, I quite like it because the two wheels together blend nicely and don't 'fight' with each other as closer together designs do.

so I ordered the wash lights in batches of 4 (2 cases of 2 units) When they arrived and were fine, I ordered another batch.

How have you faired with your later batches in terms of them matching the first batch. I know of a few people to have struggled when doing this with LED/Driver/DMX board batches changing in such a short space of time that his two sets didnt match at all, despite being the "same" product.

This even extends to our 18 elumen8 tri pixel battens - bought in two batches of 8 in a reasonably short time frame, and the two batches colour generation, and fade times are way out of each other even with prolights added quality control.

(Im not complaining by the way, this is what happens when you buy cheaper products, and I completely understand, and would prefer this option against spending 5 times the price on a manifacturer which calibrates its colours)

well - end to end was only about 7 weeks - and they all matched fine from first to last delivery. Only flaw in the works was they managed umpteen thousand miles to get here in flightless, yet two I sold to blackpool via TNT fell off the back of the lorry - and smashed - and they charged me to deliver me back the case of bits! Luckily, it was simply plastic cases - which replaced easily, and they were the spare two that eventually I've used.

• 2 weeks later...

This even extends to our 18 elumen8 tri pixel battens - bought in two batches of 8 in a reasonably short time frame, and the two batches colour generation, and fade times are way out of each other even with prolights added quality control.

Are they all running the same software version?

Are they all running the same software version?

Dont worry chris we have already been in touch for pricing to make them all "V2" as it where.

Archived