Lighting colour combinations

simonkbike

Hi all,

I'm due to work on a new rig to do a single performance and I'm limited in what I can do with it; basically nothing except use the subs already there as I can't touch the board and won't have time to re-gel. My experience is limited to a few village hall shows. I've been sent specs but as the venue is a long way away I won't be able to test ideas out til it's showtime.

I have subs for Warm (straw?) lighting and Cool (pale blue, not sure what). What sort of temperature will I get if I use both together? Neutral? Not white, surely?

S.

Depending on the exact colours used and the angles involved, they do indeed tend to mix to an approximation to open white.

I run R3204 (or Lee 202, CT blue) and R3442 (CT straw) in my house hang and they mix to a pretty close analogue to white. The "classic" front wash used be 117(Steel blue)+103(straw) - which is same idea, really. You also get to balance the two so you can have warmish and coolish blends without going all out.

Don't forget that you don't have to mix equal amounts of each so you should be able to make pretty much any shade of white by varying the amount of each wash (from "warm white" all the way to "cold white"). Every type of lantern and every "warm" or "cool" gel will mix differently (e.g. par cans give out a less warm shade than fresnels with the same gel in) but just play with the subs and see what happens!

Archived