AKG Tetrad Wireless Mics

jpinewoods

Has anyone had any experience with the AKG DHT Tetrad wireless system?

I am looking for a simple way of providing multiple, decent quality wireless microphones for hire to a consumer audience which will offer a mixed output rather than needing to have multiple outputs fed into a desk and then out. The system will in most cases simply be connected to a pair of powered speakers. The reason to want to bypass a mixer is purely simplicity for a non-technician user base. A one box solution is really straightforward!

I ask about the AKG because it is 2.4 GHz wi-fi based and in the environment that this is likely to be most used - un-engineered public meetings, wedding receptions, etc. I have experienced some problems in the past where we have supplied Line 6 XD systems and they have suffered significant drop-outs, causing the renter to complain that the microphones were of low quality. Naturally, I am therefore a little nervous to go back down that route. However, looking at multi-way one box systems almost anything other than the real budget end (which probably won't be durable enough for rental) seem to only have individual line out channels, not a mixed out.

AKG claim they have built in technology to prevent drop-outs, but without trying I remain somewhat sceptical, but in all other aspects the system seems totally suited to my requirements.

Can any one share any experiences?

I have just been looking at the LD Systems LDWS 1000 which is dual system based on UHF Channel 70 with a mixed output and seemingly relatively high quality components. I realise it isn't quite the 4 way system I would have preferred, but at least it offers the main functionality I am looking for.

Does anyone have experience with these?

I ask about the AKG because it is 2.4 GHz wi-fi based and in the environment that this is likely to be most used - un-engineered public meetings, wedding receptions, etc. I have experienced some problems in the past where we have supplied Line 6 XD systems and they have suffered significant drop-outs, causing the renter to complain that the microphones were of low quality.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with the Line6 XD series - I've used mine in a venue with very powerful 2.4g WAPs mounted either side of the prosc (helpful!) without any dropouts. I suspect the problem lies with the "un-engineered" aspect - radio mics, more-so than a lot of other sound kit, are rarely totally plug & play - the user needs a little bit of knowledge to get the best out of them. As soon as a "helpful" friend starts fiddling with the settings, the hirer has no chance! Not to mention someone casually placing their mobile on top of the receiver rack.

Could you not go for something like the Sennhesier XS series mounted in a little rack case with a basic (even passive) mixer hidden in the back?

Archived