Avo power cube patching solution

numberwrong

Hello,

We need a patching solution for an Avo Powercube.

Was thinking a rack the same width of a power cube with 4 panels of twin 6x15A

The panels would have to have some short soca on the back to patch straight into the cube.

The thing I'm not sure about is how to deal with the patch cables.

We currently have 2 x soca fan in's and 10 separate cables going to different parts of the venue.

Was thinking maybe to have a gap at the bottom of the patch rack to and run the cables through the gap and up into the panels.

Anyone now of some good solutions for this and where to get them from?

Photos would be good if possible so I can show the technical manager (very much a sound not a lighting person) for approval.

Thanks!

Get rid of the PowerCube and get an ART2000 T2 instead?

I reckon I would go with mad hippy, neat powerCON True 1 patch panel whose inlets are fed from three male Socapex from the PowerCube, and whose outlets go to 4 x Socapex or 2 x Socapex and some 15A sockets. A bunch of short powerCON patch leads and away you go. The patching is done via the powerCONs rather than the Socapex fan-ins.

The powerCON panel would have to be a custom job, certainly for the outlets, but could be done with a blank rack panel and a hole punch, as could the Socapex inlets and outlets. The 15A socket panel is likely an off the shelf at Adam Hall or Penn Fabrication.

Get rid of the power cube and get 3x Beta packs? they already have double 15A outs so no need to do anything! You just need a solution for the hot power but I'm sure there will be a 6 way rack out there that would suit your needs.

I love the power cube but it sounds like the wrong solution for you!

Pete

Get rid of the power cube and get 3x Beta packs?

Yeah I don't know why they bought a power cube, they used to have a rack of beta packs but they were old and knackered. The power cube came in when they made a big investment on the lighting rig but I was away that year unfortunately. The only reason I can think of is the venue is also a church so doesn't have the usual back stage/dimmer room areas so maybe they wanted something that could be moved easily? The cube is currently under the stage.

I don't want to suggest getting rid of it, don't know how that would go down.....

Ironically though, the cost of fan outs, lots of rack panels, and soca, will ultimately probably be about the same as picking up a few second hand beta packs. If you keep an eye out you can get some bargains, I got two of them for 250 quid not long ago.

Archived