Zero 88 Fixture Type Editor

Jd17

Has any one used the Zero 88 fixture type editor for the fat frog. I am making a custom fixture that has 3 channels take a look at the attached picture to get what I mean but does the second highlight box mean the second DMX number in the patch when I config the fixture on the desk.http://s17.postimg.org/rqsy52rgf/image.png

Hi JD17,

The "special" drop down won't make much difference to you on a fat frog. We use it for ZerOS consoles to link the parameter to features such as the colour picker or fixture swap-out.

The Channel (LSB) option is the DMX channel order. So, if you patch the unit to address 180, putting "1" in here will mean that "red" is controlled by address 180. If you put "5" in here, "red" would be controlled by address 184, and so on.

Hope this helps?

Hi JD17,

The "special" drop down won't make much difference to you on a fat frog. We use it for ZerOS consoles to link the parameter to features such as the colour picker or fixture swap-out.

The Channel (LSB) option is the DMX channel order. So, if you patch the unit to address 180, putting "1" in here will mean that "red" is controlled by address 180. If you put "5" in here, "red" would be controlled by address 184, and so on.

Hope this helps?

thanks that was what I thought I take it that to then use these on the desk I find a pc with a floppy drive and copy over the saved file or do I have to export it in some way and also would it effect any other pre patched fixtures on the desk as there are already 2 martin mac 500 mode 4 patched on the desk

Thanks

The Fixture Editor will save a file with an ".ift" extension. When you "Assign Fixtures" on the desk, move to the fixture number, then v (Down Arrow) then - (Minus) and you will get "Select Fixture from Floppy Disk". You will be able to select between the IFT files found on the disk (if there is more than one), then you can select the required fixture definition from that IFT (an IFT can contain many fixture definitions). Loading this new fixture won't affect any of the other assigned fixtures.

If you want to use this new fixture definition for multiple fixtures, you should now find it in the list of available fixtures - i.e. you only have to load it from disk once for that desk setup.

If you want your new fixture to be always available on the desk, even when you reset all of the desk memories when your current show is finished, then you should create a new "Common Fixtures" file (a ".cft") and replace one of the existing 20 "common fixtures" with your new one. You reprogram the desk's "common fixtures" by loading in this CFT (Floppy Disk -> Load CFT). The Common Fixture Editor is a utility you download from Zero88 - you probably already have it on your PC as you seem to have the Fixture Editor already.

Loading a new fixture from floppy (page 6-5) and loading a replacement CFT (page 6-12) is explained in the desk manual http://zero88.com/su...nual-issue-6-en

Kevin

The Fixture Editor will save a file with an ".ift" extension. When you "Assign Fixtures" on the desk, move to the fixture number, then v (Down Arrow) then - (Minus) and you will get "Select Fixture from Floppy Disk". You will be able to select between the IFT files found on the disk (if there is more than one), then you can select the required fixture definition from that IFT (an IFT can contain many fixture definitions). Loading this new fixture won't affect any of the other assigned fixtures.

If you want to use this new fixture definition for multiple fixtures, you should now find it in the list of available fixtures - i.e. you only have to load it from disk once for that desk setup.

If you want your new fixture to be always available on the desk, even when you reset all of the desk memories when your current show is finished, then you should create a new "Common Fixtures" file (a ".cft") and replace one of the existing 20 "common fixtures" with your new one. You reprogram the desk's "common fixtures" by loading in this CFT (Floppy Disk -> Load CFT). The Common Fixture Editor is a utility you download from Zero88 - you probably already have it on your PC as you seem to have the Fixture Editor already.

Loading a new fixture from floppy (page 6-5) and loading a replacement CFT (page 6-12) is explained in the desk manual http://zero88.com/su...nual-issue-6-en

Kevin

Thanks That Helped A lot I will try this next week when I have access to the desk. Do you know if I can format the floppy on the pc in some way that it will still be read by the fat frog

so that I can have it all ready to go next week.

Kevin

From Reading the pages in the guide more careful it suggest that it will over right all the cft on the desk and thuse the current assigned fixtures. am I right in thinking this or has any one tried this before

Thanks That Helped A lot I will try this next week when I have access to the desk. Do you know if I can format the floppy on the pc in some way that it will still be read by the fat frog

Also tick the scale by virtual intensity and add a virtual dimmer parameter, otherwise (assuming you are setting up something like LED cans) I don't think they'll respond to the GM or blackout.

From Reading the pages in the guide more careful it suggest that it will over right all the cft on the desk and thuse the current assigned fixtures. am I right in thinking this or has any one tried this before

The CFT sets the "20 most common fixtures" you want to use on the desk. All 20 "common fixtures" are defined by default, so you will need to remove one you don't think you'll need (regularly) and put your new fixture in place of it. As you're using MAC500s, leave this fixture in the CFT. Of course if there is a fixture you need that is not stored on the desk as part of the CFT then you just load it from floppy when you assign as per your OP, CFT is just a convenience feature.

I have a 2006 desk and it doesn't seem fussy over where the floppy was formatted - most of my disks are old ones I have lying around - that might have been desk or PC formatted - or pre-formatted disks bought from somewhere like WHSmith some years back. Your desk might not be so tolerant, maybe I'm lucky, or maybe the users who report "issues" have earlier desks with different floppy drives (often people will comment on the early Panasonic drives being troublesome, although I've no idea what make is fitted to mine, I just know it's a late production desk).

Archived