Installation speakers suggestions

Shez

I'm currently spec'ing the AV aspects of a medium ish sized room - 15m long by 11m wide by 3.3m high. I'm looking for some speaker recommendations - to be used for gentle speech reinforcement and video playback so nothing earth shattering. 8" or 10" drivers - I've used Martin F8 in there before which did a decent job. They need to be available in white and will be mounted on the side walls near the front so need a bracket that will work sideways (if that makes sense!) The look of the space is deemed to be important so discreet styling is the way to go. Unpowered, capable of at least 115dBspl @1m and with a dispersion pattern of around 90° H and 45° V.

I'd like to propose two options - one that would do a decent job at a reasonable price and one that would be really nice (probably d&b).

Recommendations? Preferably from real world experience rather than looking at spec sheets as I can do that myself ;)

How about the EV ZX1-90? 8"+1" ?

90 degree x 50 degree, and a decent enough sounding box, and cheap as chips!

Might be a slightly bigger physical box than your after.

They are available in white, but have never mounted them so not sure of the options there.

noticed your in leicester, shez.

we are just down the road in loughborough.

You could certain come and have a listen to them, and we could also do you a good price on them.

Cheers, George

(this didn't start as a commercial interest post)

I really like EM acoustics stuff (I'm touring with their EMS51's and 61's as a vocal system at the moment and have been suitably impressed with the 61's coverage, clarity and power).

They have an 8" box with rotatable horn, should you wish to mount it sideways, with 90 x 60 degree coverage. see here In their product blurb it does say they can do colour matching (and some of their other boxes say they come in white), so I would assume colour wouldn't be a problem.

I've never had to buy them, so I don't know how expensive they actually are, but I believe they are quite reasonable. Distributers are listed on their website.

Neil

A lot of my customers are now installing column type speakers in this sort of application. Not your grandfathers voice range columns from the 70s but the modern variety that sound like real loudspeakers.

This option may provide aesthetic benefits (subjective) as well as acoustic / intelligibility / coverage benefits (depending on deployment) over the 8" or 10" plus horn you are looking to use.

Not going to recommend a specific product as I wouldn't be able to avoid naming one that I sell but it shouldn't take too much effort to find this type of loudspeaker from one of the reputable manufacturers that make them.

I can confirm that ZX1s will mount onto side walls in the way you intend. Good boxes but work best with a fairly generously sized amplifier.

However columns of some sort may well be an easier sell to the powers that be - indeed if you are crafty you could get more budget for the "nicer looking" speakers and end up with a more capable system.

Mini line arrays (bose L1, HK Elements etc) could well be the way to go, Personal experience is only of a brief trial of a Bose L1 Compact but for low volume stuff I haven't heard better.

Obviously can't be mounted on their side though, 180˚ vertical x 40˚ horizontal isn't much use.

Could I suggest the Inspired Audio products.

We have their Optima 5 line array in our hire stock and it sounds stunning.

The 8 and 10" boxes with the small 2x10 bass unit sound fantastic. They are based in Notts, so not a million miles away from you.. The designer is Chris Scott of Logic Systems fame...

An interesting variety of suggestions - thank you!

I hadn't actually considered the mini line arrays. Is their 180° horizontal coverage a problem when mounted on a side wall and facing up the length of the room? Presumably a fair chunk of their output then just hits the wall (and bounces...)? Mic sources are likely to be a lectern mic, hand held radio or tie clip radio - keeping the speaker coverage area away from the front of the room would obviously be useful.

The Inspired Audio Optima 5 is 110 deg wide, and we haven't had any problems with either lav or lectern mics with a variety of how they are rigged.......either flown, ground stacked or on a pole above the bass unit

Archived