Strand 430 desk - any info please

Pipkin

Following on from my first Topic regarding upgrading our MX board - I now have in my possession a Strand 430 desk.

However - that is literally all I have - the desk.

Can any of you offer advice / pointers on what bits I need to get hold of to see if we can get this up and running ?

It might end up being the wrong desk for us, but it has been offered to us, and I have time to see if it would work for us.

I looked on the strand archive website, and there is mention of a service manual for the 500 series - but the link doesn't seem to go anywhere.

Does anyone have a copy, or know how I buy the one on the strand archive ?

Am I correct in thinking that any info / software etc for the 500 series is correct for the 430 ?

Thanks again everyone !

IIRC it will run the same software as the 500 series, the 300 series and (in slightly cut down form, one my favourite little desks, the GSX). I always found the genius software very easy to get along with. You'll probably want at least one if not two VGA compatible monitors for it though.

The GeniusPRO manual can be found here:

http://www.strandlighting.com/clientuploads/directory/downloads/500series_operationmanual.pdf

This manual is for v2.8.4, which was not the last release before the demise of this well-loved OS. GeniusPRO was the OS for the 400, 500 and 300 series consoles (in the order they were produced).

You are likely to need, as Alistair posts above, at least one, if not two, VGA monitors, and a PS/2 mouse and keyboard. I can't recall if the 400 series had USB ports (the last time I used one was 1997), but if it does, they will not work, so don't bother.

The later versions of the software were in my opinion a superlative example of lighting control, intuitive to start but capable of extremely complex operations with a little practice.

The only thing that is now a drawback is the physical size of the consoles.

Thanks for this info.

I have a PS2 mouse with built in trackpad type keyboard that I could use to start with, and also I have a spare VGA monitor.

The keyboard connector doesn't look to be PS2 though - it looks like a DIN plug ???

Does this need some sort of Strand Adapter ?

Also, is the software still available for these desks, if it needs a reinstall ?

The keyboard connector doesn't look to be PS2 though - it looks like a DIN plug ???

Apologies, it's been nearly 20 years... The 5 pin DIN connector for a keyboard is a old connector for keyboards from an ancient IBM PC/AT design. You may have to hack a PS/2 keyboard to get this working, if such a thing is possible.

Also, is the software still available for these desks, if it needs a reinstall ?

I am not sure if the software is still available, but an essential step is to save the 'password' for the console that dictates the add-ons and the channel count. I cannot remember how to do this, but old skool Stranders on here may be able to help.

Apologies, it's been nearly 20 years... The 5 pin DIN connector for a keyboard is a old connector for keyboards from an ancient IBM PC/AT design. You may have to hack a PS/2 keyboard to get this working, if such a thing is possible.

Adaptors still very much available from ebay and various other places. There's plenty of industrial kit still uses the big din connectors.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/250732273936

I am not sure if the software is still available, but an essential step is to save the 'password' for the console that dictates the add-ons and the channel count. I cannot remember how to do this, but old skool Stranders on here may be able to help.

Try reading this thread

http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.php?showtopic=8213

The 500 series non 'I' software (also runs on 400 series) in the latest version is still available from

http://www.strandlighting.com/clientuploads/directory/downloads/500series_SW_v2.8.6_C5.zip

Manuals are available from

http://www.strandlighting.com/index.php?xsearch[0]=Controls+-+DISCONTINUED&xsearch[1]=500+Series+Console+%28Discontinued%29&xsearch[2]=Manual&submit=Search&xsearch_id=Downloads_Search&src=directory&srctype=downloads_lister&view=downloads

However it seems to depend upon the age of your 430 and exactly what hardware it has inside it as to if it will work or not and also if you currently have the right unlock code for version 2 of the OS, I think if the console is currently on version 1 you are probably stuck.

I don't think it's worth spending anything more than trivial sums of money on discontinued pre-bankruptcy strand hardware to be honest.

I've been reading the update notes for GeniusPro 2.8.6 from the Strand Website, and it says ....

The I version requires at least 32Mb of RAM installed in the console

or PC. The non-I version requires at least 16Mb with a new CS

console, 8Mb maximum with an old CS console. Up to 128Mb is

supported in consoles fitted with new CS electronics or in PCs.

Now I assume the 430 is non 'I'

But how do I tell what type of CS card I have ?

I have found the CS card, but does anyone know what an old or new one looks like ?

Also, the processor on the PC motherbaord is a 133Mhz Pentium - but the data sheet for the 430 said it would be a 75Mhz. Does this indicate anything ?

Thanks again all !

500 series 'I' version consoles had Pentium processors (and latterly I believe - they all had Pentium 2's) whereas the humble 430 only had a 486 processor. The CS card on your 430 is likely to be an old one as the range didn't last that long - probably 2 years at most as supplies of Intel chipset 486 motherboards dried up. The most memory you'll probably get on your motherboard is 4mB which I think (memory is getting old) is the maximum limit for the processor.

I did manage to fit a motherboard to my old 430 that took a "586" - essentially a souped up 486 that performed like a mini Pentium and the chipset wasn't Intel - Strand specified the chipset mostly to cut down the faultfinding when certain things didn't work. Being honest, I never had many issues with the 586 as the software itself wasn't doing anything spectacular on the processor and it worked quite happily for us.

I have found the CS card, but does anyone know what an old or new one looks like ?

Also, the processor on the PC motherbaord is a 133Mhz Pentium - but the data sheet for the 430 said it would be a 75Mhz. Does this indicate anything ?

The new CS cards are square(ish) with a 3.6v nicad. The olde CS cards were oblong with a large blue battery.

As far as I'm aware, both processors were used. The only limiting factor was a maximum of 8Meg of memory due to overlapping addressing problems on the olde CS cards.

K

The new CS cards are square(ish) with a 3.6v nicad. The olde CS cards were oblong with a large blue battery.

As far as I'm aware, both processors were used. The only limiting factor was a maximum of 8Meg of memory due to overlapping addressing problems on the olde CS cards.

K

Well in that case - we have the older CS card http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif as it has the blue SAFT battery at one end which has leaked on the PCB. We've ordered a replacement for that, and think we can repair the minor damage that has been caused to the tracks.

So going back to the motherboard - will I be able to install the newer 2.8.6 software ? Or am I limited due to having the old CS card

I know the motherboard has 4 x sticks fitted, but I haven't looked what size they are.

I was really looking forward to having a play with this, but I'm kind of getting the feeling I might have bitten of more problems than I expected.

You should be able to install 2.8.6 - the only major difference is that focus groups won't work (where you could store fixture positions in a group, reference the group position in a memory and if you then change the focus - the cues would automagically take the new position).

The memory limits are set by the PC Motherboard and processor not the CS Card - 486 processors had a limited memory range ;)

Archived