Smokecloak 250 MkII

the_real_dr_bob

It's a very high output smoke machine that's designed to be connected to a burglar alarm.

When the alarm is triggered it blasts out a huge amount of very dense smoke, very rapidly. A company I worked for had a demo of one about 5 years ago, the room was about 30 X 80 X 12 (feet), and it was absolutely smoothered to the extent that you could not see a hand 3 inches away from your face in about 15 seconds :blink:

It's designed to completely disorrientate the burglar and stop them getting away with anything.

The day we had it demonstrated, I thought to myself, "hmmm, now what if you added a nice powerful set of strobes into the equation"

Just out of interest, we never bought one as they were over £1000 :o

THis product is made by Martin's JEM factory in the UK, The company Smokecloak was a JEM customer until Martin bought them out a few years ago.

FRom what I remember in my time as MD of JEM the smoakcloak has all basic smokemachine components but without the obvious output and timer controls, the PCB was customer for the machine as well so the only thing you should be able to do is to get it to fire at full volume, which will be a lot!

Suggest you use it to protect the property and buy a cheapie instead.

Ian Kirby

Hello Ian,

Long time no speak.

As Ian says, this unit is a security device designed for the use in protecting warehouses office's etc from intruders.

It doesn’t come with any remote to activate the unit as it is designed to be installed using an alarm and will activated via the PIR system.

Buy a nice ZR12AL this will give you all the control you need and at not much cost!!

BR

John Marshall

Thanks very much for all the information, we're going to take a look inside to see how it ticks, which might be usefull to give the new technicians a general idea for theatrical smoke machines. However I think its clear that performance use is a definate no-no and we'll be purchasing a proper unit :) Thanks for the help.

However I think its clear that performance use is a definate no-no and we'll be purchasing a proper unit  :)  Thanks for the help.

Oh, why not? :) Surely there must be *some* performance where you need a lot of atmosphere in a short space of time? An explosion perhaps? Or in a scene change where there is little time to wait for a regular smoker to fill the stage.. Just because it looks cool.....

I'll behave now :)

Archived