DMX cable

RoyF18

I ordered some DMX cable from a well-known lighting/sound company a week or so ago and I was sent Van Damme cable that said all this on it:

"Van Damme 268-020-000 Classic Microphone Cable AM Noise rejecting lap spiral screen ultra pure SPOFC conductors"

I've had a look at the Van Damme website and this cable is listed here

Quote from the website:

Applications

• Microphone and line level analogue balanced audio use

• Ideal for on stage use

• 10 colours available for application specific coding

• Compatible with AES//EBU signals reliably up to 5 metres

Has this popular company taken a bit of a liberty with the definition of DMX cable or am I just being silly?

Cheers

Roy

AES/EBU signals (professional digital audio) runs at a data rate of just over 3 Mbits/s. DMX runs at 250 k/bits/s. So it should work for short runs.

However, they are taking a liberty.

if you hired it then I'm not surprised, a lot of companies use microphone cable, until recently there wasn't much available in the way of decent DMX cable, about half of my DMX cable is the van damme mic cable, it works for most things I do

if you bought it then I would recomend sending it back and asking for the proper stuff (at possibly twice the price) van damme now do a dedicated DMX cable as do AC lighting

Yeah I bought it - I'm going to be making a bunch of 10metre cables from it so it's not going to be much good.

Oh well, I'll have to get in touch with this company (surprising because they're usually very good).

Thanks for all the replies.

Archived