Water Proofing radio mic's

JohnMac

Is this the capsules, transmitters or both that you are trying to waterproof, Is this to swim with sweat on or get splashed around a bit.

There are waterproof capsules you can get and transmitters can be made water resistant bu putting them in a zip-lock bag, and tied around the leads, or inserted in an un-lubricated condom.

If there is a significant amoung of water around, I waould also consider putting a sachet of silica gell or similar in the bag. This won't help with water ingress but might help with humidity.

However you have problems if the actor has to swim. <_<

Perhaps you could try getting in touch with the sound department at Chichester Festival Theatre? I did some LX programming for their production of "My One & Only" last year, and the two principal turns spent the whole of one song splashing around in water troughs around the perimiter of the stage (ending the song by taking a face-first dive into a couple of inches of water and sliding along the length of the trough on their stomachs!). I'm sure the sound chaps will have waterproofed the radio kit to some extent, perhaps they'll be able to tell you what they did.

Thanks for replies guys, Girl is washing her hare.. sorry hair sorry! <_< USC in a makeshift shower, so I'm guessing light to medium drenching. She's wearing a swimming costume and shorts over. I'm thinking of using a sealable plastic bag for the UHF transmitter, held in a belt pouch under shorts. Capsule in cleavage of leading lady is end likely to get wet.

Winds light to moderate, falling......

Girl is washing her hare.. sorry hair sorry!  USC in a makeshift shower

Does she have to have a radio for this section,

Might it not be easier and sheeper to go for fixed statics and put her back on a radio after the scene?

just a thought

otherwise the Sony ECM-88 claims to survive total imersion

as do the

AKG CK 77 WR

Countryman B6 and others

good luck

Does she have to have a radio for this section,

Might it not be easier and sheeper to go for fixed statics and put her back on a radio after the scene?

just a thought

As I remember (its years since I saw the show) she actually sings solo during this scene, so my guess is probably yes

Thanks James & Peter, Problem is not so much with the shower, but she's constantly on stage delivers at least three songs whilst 'on', and dances just for good measure!.... I like the idea of the sachet of silica gell in a zip-lock bag, in the body pouch. I'm currently playing with a latex finger, some heat shrink tubing and some sticky tape, but I think the condoms probably thinner and would be more transparent to sound. Oh! the things we do..... :) here's one I prepared earlier... now what flavour to get..... <_< .

here's one I prepared earlier... now what flavour to get.....  .

I do hope you are non serious,

Just to restate anyway,

You do want un-lubricated, un-flavoured, un-used condoms.

(sorry couldn't resist) <_<

A final thanks every one who replied, Owens' joke about 400V very nearly true, The shower was positioned right over a centre stage dip with '3 phase' between the sockets!. (Risk Assessment....? )

For anyone interested, having looked at 3 different manufacturers and upteen brand names, the majority of condoms now come lubricated!

Ended up with the transmitter in a thin latex glove with the aerial up a finger, and a kitchen towel wrapped around the transmitter to act as a wick should any water get in. The lead to mic capsule was taken out through the bottom (wrist), which was then folded over and well taped (good old gaffer).

(The Lemo connector to the transmitter fitted nicely up another finger so depending on your mood you either had a rude gesture, or a pair of bunny ears! ) :P

At the vocal end tried two different materials the top of a latex glove, and a washed top of a condom, sound quality was better with the glove. I think I may have over-stretched the condom :( , next time I would try leaving it a little loose so it isn't as tight as a drum skin.

The latex was held in place with a small piece of LX tape around the circumference, and a small piece of heatshrink tube with adhesive was shrunk around the rear of the capsule to complete the water proofing.

Hope this gives you some ideas if you ever have to do something similar...

For anyone interested, having looked at 3 different manufacturers and upteen brand names, the majority of condoms now come lubricated!

Ended up with the transmitter in a  thin latex glove...

Un-lubricated condoms are often suggested but where the f**k to you get them? :P

I also normally use latex gloves for transmitters. Much cheaper too.

Archived