Editing older Avo Titan shows

numberwrong

Hi

Sorry if this has been coved before, couldn't find anything easily

so...

I've started freelancing in a venue that has a Tiger Touch 2 with Titan 7.2.

Last time I was in there I saved my show file to USB but I want to do some editing on the simulator before I go back in a week.

I have the latest Titan PC suite, will my edited show be saved as 8.1 (or whatever we're on now) or is there a way of saving 'backwards'?

I will be suggesting to upgrade the console to latest version of Titan however I'm new at the venue and there are several other techs using the console all with their own shows.

I don't want to rock the boat or ###### up other peoples shows, but upgrading shouldn't cause issues should it? If I do get the go ahead to upgrade I will back up everything and make sure there aren't vital shows down as quick saves.

I can see this being an annual ish event so we should have some sort of protocol to put in place.

Cheers, James

Shows are not backwards compatible. Sometimes they will work across minor versions (ie. 8.1 might work on 8.0) but not across major version boundaries.

There should not be any problem going forwards though. 7.2 -> 8.1 should be fine. Just make sure they are 'proper' saves. Autosaves definitely won't work and will throw an error if you try. The only issue I can think of is the selected key profile will reset to default (program) when loading v7 into v8. Simply reselect your preferred profile if different and then re-save.

Note that sometimes they don't play nicely if you skip one or more major versions (for example 6 -> 8 might have issues). In these cases it's solvable by transitioning them through the intervening builds but this is one good reason to try and keep up-to-date.

The main thing the venue needs to be aware of when upgrading from 7.2 is that the console will require licensing. This is a quick process via the website where you will immediately get a 2 week temporary license to ensure there are no delays but it's important to note before they go ahead. That said, this is another good reason to update since 7.2 has a time limit built-in. Since 7.3 it is unlimited.

Thanks niclights,

Sorry that this post was similar to something I posted a few weeks ago, was going to go on the Avolites forum but I just couldn't wait for the approval time!

My question still stands, what happens if I open my 7.2 show in the PC suite, edit it then save again?

Will the show be saved as 8.1? how can I save as 7.2? do I have to un-install the new PC suite and download an older version?

What do you mean 7.2 has a 'Time limit'?

I think the venue will be reluctant to spend money especially as the house rig all works fine.

My question still stands, what happens if I open my 7.2 show in the PC suite, edit it then save again?

It will be saved as whatever version the PC suite is. To save as an earlier version you'd have to install and edit with an earlier version of the PC suite, you can still get 7.2 from the Avo website but I'm not sure how long it will be there for. Bit of a painful way of doing it.

Titan 7.2 has a time limited license - it will stop working after that time elapses (shown at the top of the system screen) and you have to upgrade. This was due to some piracy issues I believe. The upgrade and licensing to v8 is free, but takes a few minutes to sort out and requires internet connection, I think Nic was just warning you of that extra step being needed.

Thanks Tim,

I didn't know the licence was free. I'll warn the venue about 7.2.

I think that will warrant a tec support call to Avo

Surely Avolites should have an option to save backwards on the PC suite. You could on the Pearl Classics ('pre sep 2009' option is it?)

Surely Avolites should have an option to save backwards on the PC suite. You could on the Pearl Classics ('pre sep 2009' option is it?)

It would be a useful ability, but you can't do it on any Titan device.

I think they are keen to keep people on the latest version of software because of the problems they have with piracy of the design. That's certainly behind all the licensing hoo hah they have had to do.

Archived