New radio mic for a church

Yorkie

the D1 which is a replacement for the EW100 series but is digital

I got some info from my Sennheiser rep about the D1 series, he didn't mention the demise of the EW100 range, but suggested that the D1 sits at the same level in terms of quality, features etc.

Line of sight is critical with the Line6 radio mics, the wavelength of 2.4 GHz is around 1/3rd of CH70 at around 4" an consequently, much more easily interrupted. They do have a rep for wiping out any other 2.4GHz comms in the building though.....

That's what I would expect - but the professional engineer in this situation wasn't going to be told how to run radio mics.... ;-)

You highlight the wider issue as more manufacturers push radio mic systems into 1.9GHz and 2.4GHz - as opposed to channel 38 and ever dwindling white space. At some point these system will either not work properly or stop other stuff from working.

I know that the same problem effectively applies to any slice of spectrum, but these devices are being sold as "working straight out of the box" and "no need to worry about frequency management".

Maybe my wording for replacement was wrong. But inevitable I would say. Initially it may not be the replacement but it is certainly as Stuart said the same spec level and bearing in mind they are saying 12 channels license free it does come with some added benefits. I would say to the op to keep an eye on the SpeechLine solution as long as the mic is just for spoken word. The latency is higher than the D1 etc but more than acceptable for spoken word. Plus the pricing would look to be very good for entry level solutions.

The problem with 2.4GHz, as opposed to Ch 38, is that there's far more devices allowed to operate in the band. Ch 38 is radio mics only, and there's very little other kit that can even transmit in that range.

On 2.4GHz, there's a multitude of devices, not just wi-fi. People are thinking of more uses for the band every day. Plus every audience member can turn up with a wi fi hotspot in their pocket, so equipment that's trouble-free during soundcheck has more to contend with at curtain up.

I recently got a last minute hire of 4 x systems on Ch38, because a conference were using Line 6 mics on 2.4GHz and had just discovered that they wouldn't work alongside the audience response voting pads that were being used. Sennheiser have assured me that the D1 systems will play far better alongside others, but still there will logically come a point where the spectrum is too congested for them to function. Unlike network type tasks, radio mics are time critical so there isn't the option of increasing latency to use less bandwidth.

I think that the D1 systems could work well for quiet churches, especially outwith town centres. I'd be a little bit wary of putting one into a busy production environment at the moment, but it'll be interesting to see how they perform when they are actually shipping and beginning to appear places.

Line 6 kit got a lot of adverse press for consuming a large chunk of the available band, so they then added a more frequency friendly mode - which is now the default mode. You can put it back to the original mode with a few button prods, and all my stuff - handhelds and guitar systems have been 100% solid - just unfriendly to everything else.

Archived