PAR 36 Pin Spots

jexjexjex

60 to 65 is a bit too many if they really are 50 watt lamps. 60 lamps each of 50 watts is 3000 watts, add 10% for transformer losses and that becomes 3,300 watts which is more than 13 amps. 65 lamps would be worse still.

However PAR36 pin spots are not often 50 watts, 30 watts is more common, plus transformer losses, in which case 60 to 65 is reasonable. No great accuracy can be claimed since we don't know the exact losses in the transformers nor do we know how accurately the lamps are manufactured, nor do we know the actual mains voltage, or even if the transformers are designed for 230 volt input or for 240 volts.

60 to 65 is a bit too many if they really are 50 watt lamps. 60 lamps each of 50 watts is 3000 watts, add 10% for transformer losses and that becomes 3,300 watts which is more than 13 amps. 65 lamps would be worse still.

However PAR36 pin spots are not often 50 watts, 30 watts is more common, plus transformer losses, in which case 60 to 65 is reasonable. No great accuracy can be claimed since we don't know the exact losses in the transformers nor do we know how accurately the lamps are manufactured, nor do we know the actual mains voltage, or even if the transformers are designed for 230 volt input or for 240 volts.

Yes, you probably could run 60 off a 13A plug..... but I'm willing to bet that you can't power then up! All those transformers magnetising together are gonna create one huge switch on surge which may well take out a 13A fuse and probably the 16A or 32A MCB backing it up unless its a 'D' type.

• 4 months later...

Thread necromania...

As it turns out, I only need to run 16 of the little blighters, so no issues there.

Reason for delay in responding? The job was off, then on, then off, then on again with 7 days to go!

I hate dance school shows - But that's a story for another thread!

Thanks all for the information.

Archived