Price of 2nd Hand Gear?

BigYinUK

Hi all

I've read various things about the low price of secondhand gear. Can anyone here advise me of what a year old Zed 428, used only a handful of times would be worth?

I paid just over a grand for it and £180 for the flight case.

I suppose eBay is the best way?

Regards

If you are going the eBay route, research your delivery options. If you make it collection only, you severely limit your pool of potential purchasers. If at all possible offer collection and a variety of delivery methods. I sold some flightcases a few months ago, which originally didn't sell when they were collection only. I got a good price when I included a reasonable delivery cost by our van.

We bought a Zed 428 last year for around £400 (40% of the current new price), incredible value (on the down side I have a GL2200/24 for sale and don't expect to get more than 10% of it's original price). Digital stuff OTOH seems to sell for at least 80% of the current new price. I'm looking to buy an X32 Rack but used prices are so high I don't see the point in sacrificing the 3 year warrantee to save £100 so I'll probably end up buying new (and my DL1608 is a bargain, PM if interested).

+1 for adding carriage.

I sold a peavey 18 channel recently, almost the 2/3 size as the zed438, sold it complete with flightcase as an additional option, wrapped in cardboard because I read somewhere here that freight insurance is invalid even on a flight case if it isn't wrapped.

I kept the carriage price reasonable as possible not adding labour and it just about covered the cost of the cardboard and courier. but the desk sold for more than I bought it for 4 years previously.

I used a comparison site for postage (parcel to go I think) and had it collected from my door - I work from home so the collection wasn't an issue.

I often pick up bargains on ebay because they are priced collection only - they tend to go for much less money.

general rule of thumb is 2nd hand gear goes for a little over 50% of the new value but the nearer new they are the closer in cost to the original they are.

I stop bidding if it starts to exceed 60 odd % but sometimes things can go for a lot of money for no apparent reason.

I sold a small lighting controller recently - with patience you can pick one up on ebay for £15 but it sold for £40 - I still can't figure that out.

the more sought after the more the price gets close to the new price but 60% is a good starting point.

Several years ago I saw a used sequencer sell on ebay for significantly more than the street price of a brand new one! People can get carried away with the bidding process if they really want something (and often don't do their research before bidding).

A Zed-428 should sell easily, but t all depends on who's wanting to buy. I bought a few things from the BBC TVC online auctions last year. You could pick up a 72-channel Calrec desk for a tenner, but every battered old mic (sold as seen, no claim any of them worked) went for silly prices - if they had an STC or Neumann badge they went for good 2nd-hand car prices.

I've sold quite a lot on eBay recently and been reasonably pleased with the prices, the only problem is that I am VAT registered so have to take that into account when setting the initial price, and don't forget eBay and PayPal fees which run to about 10%. There are other sites but where do you look first when you are looking for something second hand (or New maybe).

It doesn't cost much to list on eBay so it is worth putting it at a price you are happy to take and see if it sells. I have had several items which did not sell the first time but sold the second or third, it is a matter of being realistic and patient. Plenty of good photos and good honest descriptions help IMHO and as others have said knowing postage/courier prices. I tend to use Parcels2Go which gives a range of couriers, prices and services and usually use UPS Access Point whereby I take it to a shop in the scheme which is not too far away and they collect it from there and deliver it usually next day. There is also Access Point to Access Point whereby it is delivered to another shop near the recipient. The service is more restricted in size and weight than there standard service.

For gear like this, I've always decided the bottom price that I'd accept for the item and set that as my starting bid. As an example - I recently upgraded a pedalboard in my guitar rig. I put the old pedal board on various Facebook pages where I've bought and sold stuff previously for £30 with £10 postage 2 or 3 times over a few months and no bites. Decided to whack it on eBay, starting price £30 (+ £10 P&P) so exactly as on FB. After the week's auction I eventually sold it for £50 (+P&P) - taking eBays cut of auction (AND postage!) I still took home just over £50 (postage cost wasn't as high as anticipated).

If it doesn't sell, eBay's automatic relisting tool will keep it up there for as long as you want. If you wanted, you could whack it up for £600 and if it doesn't go after a month stick it up for £575 and keep going. Depends totally on how much you need the money and how quickly you want to get rid.

Thanks all for thr advice.

I'll probably list it as a "Buy It Now" at a reasonable price and hope for the best.

I was hoping to get a bit more than is being suggested as its practically brand new, only used 7 times :(

I've replaced it with a X32 which I have to say I find is much easier to use and the built-in FX are a real labour saver!

Regards

Jon

I was hoping to get a bit more than is being suggested as its practically brand new, only used 7 times :(

I think that anyone selling analogue gear has the same sense of disappointment. Especially where the kit hasn't really had the chance to earn its keep

I've replaced it with a X32 which I have to say I find is much easier to use and the built-in FX are a real labour saver!

And that's exactly why analogue kit is going for a song...

Archived