Dedicated sound PC keeps crashing.

Ynot

Something else to add to the mix is that it MAY also be crashing only when we have a second screen/projector attached - we often also have an additional screen piggybacked on the projector feed via a VGA splitter/amp o give local view of the output. It's feasible perhaps that this dual screen on the one output could maybe be confusing something somewhere...?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something else to add to the mix is that it MAY also be crashing only when we have a second screen/projector attached - we often also have an additional screen piggybacked on the projector feed via a VGA splitter/amp o give local view of the output. It's feasible perhaps that this dual screen on the one output could maybe be confusing something somewhere...?

It's entirely possible this is tickling a video card driver bug or a physical problem in the video card and that is causing the machine to crash.

Most of the kind of problems I've seen of this sort manifest themselves as crashes immediately the second screen is plugged in or complete failure to boot with the secondary screen plugged in though. It's very rare to get something that causes an intermittent problem.

However this is all speculation and guess work. In order to make any progress with this hard evidence such as the information from the BSOD or pertinent information from the Windows Event log at the point of the failure is needed.

• 2 months later...

OK, after a lull in the proceedings and looking at the hardware again it has been pointed out that the M Audio card is a 32bit card, and we are in fact running Win 7 64bit.

So, this is definitely something we should have picked up before, although one of my noise boys was swearing by the M Audio as good quality kit. and it couldn't be that...

Now he's rethinking his confident statements... :) :)

So the next question then is what are the recommended options for a replacement 64bit card?

Either internal or external as we can handle both, and either USB or Firewire if external.

Ideally I'd like minimum of 4 ins/outs at analogue, but with digital and/or AES in/oout.

Suggestions from those who have actual experience of the beasties, please...

E2A possible budget around £200-£300

Would these be any good? We have a couple of these as low-budget, portable alternatives to our MOTU I/O units, and they've always seemed pretty good to me.

I'll add that to the list that we can look at, thanks.

The Focusrite brand seems to be one that's a possible line to take, too...

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm...

Update - last week, the internal M-Audio sound card was removed along with its drivers.

The dual output video card was removed, also along with drivers.

Windows Defender (which apparently got installed as part of the driver check & update a few weeks back) was removed.

The Focusrite external sound card installed and set up, and all looked hunky dory...

Until Monday

PC in use during exam prep for the local college drama studies - locked up about 2 hours into the session... :( :( :(

As far as I'm aware the ONLY software in use other than the OS was Multiplay.

I can't believe that a single software prog is causing these problems, so I'm guessing that next step could well be reformat and reinstall Win 7 and see what that does.

Hi Ynot

SCS is a fantastic bit of software. There is no UK dealer. Just go to their website and buy it from there. You can use PayPal and you'll be sent username and authentication stuff more or less by return. There is a forum and Facebook page and Mike is fantastic at replying to questions/problems........even if they are on the other side of the world

I can't believe that a single software prog is causing these problems, so I'm guessing that next step could well be reformat and reinstall Win 7 and see what that does.

Before you do that I'd recommend running memtestx86+ for a few hours. You can download a precompiled bootable ISO which you can burn to a CD or there even appears to be a windows program that creates a bootable USB key these days.

http://www.memtest.org/

Instability can be cause even by a single bit error in one memory cell.

Hi Ynot

SCS is a fantastic bit of software. There is no UK dealer.

I know :)

We had the full version on trial for a few weeks and were very impressed with it. It will likely become the software of choice soon, but first I want to nail down why this beggar keeps crashing!

It really sounds more like a hardware problem and I doubt reinstalling Windows will help, probably some bad memory as suggested but could be anything from noisy PSU to disk problems.

Personally I'd be looking to replace the machine to avoid continued unreliability.

Its sounds to me like a hardware problem too. It could either be the power supply, or the CPU is overheating. I know you've said that you've re-seated the RAM, but something easily over looked is whether the heatsink is sitting on top of the CPU correctly. Its been a little while since I built my own PC, but there should be a copper shim between the CPU and its heatsink. If this is mis-aligned, or just plain missing, then your CPU will overheat and subsequently crash.

OK, after a lull in the proceedings and looking at the hardware again it has been pointed out that the M Audio card is a 32bit card, and we are in fact running Win 7 64bit.

So, this is definitely something we should have picked up before, although one of my noise boys was swearing by the M Audio as good quality kit. and it couldn't be that...

Now he's rethinking his confident statements... :) :)

Interesting. Going OT a little.....

I do video editing and one of my tools is an HD component video capture box made by Hauppauge. It works beautifully under Windows 7 32bit.

However, try running under Windows 7 64bit and it is virtually unusable. It's not that it simply doesn't work, it sometimes will, sometimes wont with no pattern and no rhyme nor reason.

Unfortunately Hauppauge don't do a 64bit driver.... grrrrrr!

I run 64bit as I have 8gb of RAM and have 64bit version of Premiere. Just shows trying to get better performance with 64bit software and more than 4gb of memory isn't always quite as cracked up to be as it seems. :( It just takes one tiny bit of code.... :unsure:

Cue gloating Mac users FanBois in 3......2.......1....... :P

Archived