equipment upgrade

tiranathon

Hi

You mention the equipment came from John Twine. - your are semi correct about them closing down. John Twine joined/became part of what is now Enlightened Lighting ( http://www.enlightenedlighting.co.uk/ ). If you are looking to get advise and new equipment give them a call.

Enlightened were up until a few years ago based in Bath but have since moved to Brislington area of Bristol. They are really easy to get to from the dual carriage way that links Keynsham to Brislington.

I would suggest steering clear of stage electrics as generally speaking they are not the cheapest.

Hope that helps

Hi

You mention the equipment came from John Twine. - your are semi correct about them closing down. John Twine joined/became part of what is now Enlightened Lighting ( http://www.enlightenedlighting.co.uk/ ). If you are looking to get advise and new equipment give them a call.

I totally missed that bit. Mr Twine, such a lovely gentleman with a long history in stage lighting including working for Strand. As mentioned, John did sell up and I'm sure if one looked hard enough in the darkest corners of the Enlightened Lighting warehouse one might still find some John Twine Lighting nameplates. I'd agree with many posters here, sounds like you've got at least some bombproof kit made in the days when things lasted and could be fixed. I'd look getting some advice on fixing it up and adding to it rather than scrapping and starting again.

looked through all the archive... couldn't find the ones we have, perhaps my memory is failing me, im due in next week, so ill check when I go in and get some model numbers etc.

Hi

I totally missed that bit. Mr Twine, such a lovely gentleman with a long history in stage lighting including working for Strand. As mentioned, John did sell up and I'm sure if one looked hard enough in the darkest corners of the Enlightened Lighting warehouse one might still find some John Twine Lighting nameplates. I'd agree with many posters here, sounds like you've got at least some bombproof kit made in the days when things lasted and could be fixed. I'd look getting some advice on fixing it up and adding to it rather than scrapping and starting again.

John Twine was actually our chief lighting guy for our amateur dramatics group, he had installed all the equipment, lights dimmers and boards etc, plus a whole host of additional kit we have laying around the place. Sadly John had to leave his post due to dementia. His wife held the reigns for a little while after John with her limited knowledge imparted via John, but sadly she passed away in 2011, and that's where I was brought in. John and his family have permanently now donated all the installed equipment to us. he still comes to all our shows, and often will come backstage and talk to me, its really nice when his memory sparks and he's very knowledgeable in his field, but sadly those times are seldom now. Very nice gentleman.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys, been ill for a while, but back now...

The dimmers we had which I could have sworn were strand, are actually 'Berkey Colortran 6 Packs', not sure where I got strand from.

Also I've changed our lighting desk, managed to score a reasonably priced Strand 300 Console, and a riggers remote to go with it.

Piling through the instruction manual etc trying to learn it all

• 4 weeks later...
Following up on this, myself and a few other West Country lampies were at Mr Twine's memorial today including a chum of mine who actually converted those Colortrans to 8 pin DIN when they were still in hire stock with JT. He offered to provide any further advice on system related stuff at the church, is in the trade and still lives in Bath. PM me for contact details.

Archived