Funny Installation...

adamburgess

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah11/fingersburgess/91EAC826-5447-45B8-AC83-B81B570EE7FA_zps2vgb2dpm.jpg

Got asked to sound check a new band in a friend's venue last night. What a shame the installer had to wreck 2 pairs of quite nice brand new JBLs with nails and a bit wood from the building site next door! Not the best flying frames I've ever seen.

Obviously not supposed to be splayed like that... They couldn't get to the connector plates... So, yet more home made holes for the Speakons. It's made them react a little strange, shall we say!

Rigging isn't very good, either!

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah11/fingersburgess/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-01/C2E80733-71A8-451C-A530-10860C111C35_zpsrm1fmulo.jpg

It's a typical install here in the Middle East. It's the nearest bar near my resident gig in Dubai. The beer is fine!

Harman (JBL/Crown etc) is in every club here but they really need to sort some proper installers. Ruined 4 perfectly good cabs. Nice amp and drive rack, too, but just as poorly deployed. EV is also quite prominent here at the club level.

I'm only a keyboard player but often get asked to fix things and listen after the (not being racist) Indian guys have been in. That's just the way it is here. I won't start on the swaying truss when they turn the movers on.

Got it the best I can but I sure missed a digital desk with instant outboard! The band were ok but inexperienced so was a bit of a double header. Love my X32 rack - the mixer here was a soundcraft fx with top, middle and bottom. Gimme a 5 band parametric and speakers that respond!

Sadly this is just the de facto standard in Dubai. The main specification for installs in Dubai is that they are as cheap as possible. Many of the clients are totally ignorant of customer service and the quality of the work. They want something that is loud and bassy and the installer who will do the work will be the one who's quote features the smallest number at the bottom of the page.

They can supply chinese copy kit from dragonmart, install it on blue rope hanging from the nearest lighting fitting and bodge it all together with lumps of wood and a packet of nails. They can get a bunch of relatively unskilled Indian / Pakistani / Sri Lankan / Bangladeshi labourers (contrary to popular belief it's not just Indians) to do the hard graft of the install and send one semi-skilled Filipino tech in to plug it up and still pay less than £100 a day between all of them. The culture we are used to at home of high quality, well labelled, built-to-last installs by quality, £250-a-day contractors just cannot compete with that mentality.

The 'cheapest bidder' mentality is something you find in Dubai clubs and venues from the bottom to the top. One of the troubles there is that expats have that 'nothing is forever' mentality - you never know how long you'll be there for, it might be 3 years it might be 20; and having had a financial crash before, everyone in Dubai is more than aware that life is on a knife edge and nothing is too certain. So getting something done on the cheap and re-doing it on the cheap again in 2-3 years time is a perfectly acceptable mentality.. there's no point having a theatre built to last 100 years like they do at home, because everyone is all too aware that it might be shut within 10.

Archived