Onelan

bruce

has anyone encountered a "Onelan net-top-box" before?

It's a product which you can use to drive (eg) large plasma displays - you use a template to break up the display into several windows. Each window can be a video feed, off-air TV, scrolling messages, RSS news feeds etc, all configureable via a web browser.

Just wondered, cos we may have to set up one next week....

Bruce.

• 2 weeks later...

Bruce,

I'm just about to put our onelan net top box live in our reception area.

Make sure you get the latest version as setting up templates is a lot easier and the scheduling is better. There is, however a glitch with the newsfeed and you need to reeboot for any changes to take effect.

The set-up is quite simple, though you have to watch for image distortion.

My biggest gripe is the sloppy transition between layouts, it isn't very smooth.

steven

Hi Steven,

We're about to put ours live within the next week as well.

We are running the latest (3.0.0) software, which is a great improvement over the V2 code. As you say, there are some glitches. In particular, if you change the properties (font, colour, speed) of a RSS feed - or any scrolling message - it won't change until after a reboot. Also, it won't play .wmv files, although the manual says it will.

I have logged both faults with Onelan tech support - who were very helpful - both will be fixed in v3.0.1 which will be available sometime next week.

I'm also a bit annoyed about the TV tuner - I had been told that the one we were getting was a digital card, but it's analogue - the digital one isn't due for release for another month or so.

The 3.0.1 software also contains a number of other bits and pieces - in particular various templates and files (including clocks, backgrounds etc) that you can use to build layouts. Onelan passed me a copy of these - send me a PM if you want a copy.

Bruce.

Bruce,

Hi. Just put the box live in our reception area yesterday.

The video I'm running are all mpg's, tried an mov and it didn't work but I think that was probably me. Noticed also that it cannot run flash 7 either.

Like to know more about the clock, I created a flash movie to display the date and time on some of my layouts. I didn't get a lot of instructions re building the presentations.

One thing I found is that I needed to edit the layouts xml (found in the control folder) after tweaking the templates. But overall its looking quite good and not too difficult to set-up, once I got my ratios worked out - our plasma is a 16:9.

We can't actually get a digital signal and the tv reception is very poor. Would have liked to have had the news on during the day.

steven.

• 4 weeks later...
Re onelan box - can anyone tell us how to change the font size on RSS newsfeed?  There is some information about rebooting after editing text size but this hasn't worked.

There's a bug in 3.00 - make sure you're running the latest (3.01) code.

Then just open up the layout, edit the newsfeed window properties, and change the fontsize. If it is greyed out, open up the corresponding template and make that property editable.

Bruce.

Archived