Digital Storage Devices

Bobbsy

This is perilously near a computer question but, honest, it IS industry related.

With the multitude of different digital mixers etc. that I now have to be ready for, I now have a number of different USB memory sticks and SD cards. It's getting to the stage that it can be hard to keep them organised--they don't lend themselves to any sort of labels and are so small that there's always a risk of losing something important.

Is anyone else finding this and does anyone have a better solution than the small Tupperware tub I'm presently using?

For identifying the difference between identical looking sticks, grap a pack of different coloured elastic bands to wrap round the stick.

For storage I use one of those zip up cd wallets, which you can label with a sharpie.

For identifying the difference between identical looking sticks, grap a pack of different coloured elastic bands to wrap round the stick.

For storage I use one of those zip up cd wallets, which you can label with a sharpie.

Oooooh.......how about a coin collecting album? Something like this? Not so good for big USB sticks, but potentially perfect for SD cards?

Edited to add: I don't collect coins! The idea just came to me when George suggested cd wallets!

I have a small key cabinet like this which I use for keys and other little things that can easily get lost.

I've attached key ring tab thingies (like on the picture) to my backup usb memory sticks for the mixer, lighting desk etc and keep them in there.

Most of the sticks have a loop for attaching to a keyring. The one that didn't has now a gaffa tape and string version.

Don't know if that helps.

All of my USB flash drives are on lanyards and live in a designated pouch in my case. The contents (almost always show file backups) go straight on to Dropbox the next time I'm at my laptop. For SD cards, I have a small case. They're usually available in SD and CF sizes, and available from most camera shops. The case lives in my camera bag.

Didn't help me yesterday though when I grabbed my camera sans bag, drove three hours into the mountains, got there and realised I didn't have an SD card with me...

Archived