Zero 88 remote Go trigger Help.

greggr1

Is there anyway to trigger the Go button on zero 88 orb desk remotely without Qlab possibly free, and if there isn't how would I achieve using Qlab (not payed version). This would need to work on Macbook pro 2011 release.

Help would be appreciated,

Thanks.

MIDI show control would ordinarily be my first port of call for this, but a quick scan of the manual doesn't seem to mention it at all. I find this surprising; perhaps I've missed something.

There is a windows remote application, and an iPhone/iPad app - would that help?

Hi greggr1,

There are several ways to remotely trigger the ORB:

- MIDI show control (MSC)

- Close contact triggers - there are 6 available via the 8pin din socket on the rear of the console

- iOS app (we generally don't recommend using apps to trigger live shows)

- RS232 (cue number must be defined, not just "next")

- iCAN (presumably no use to you, but included for completeness)

Via a MPB, the easiest is definitely MSC. QLab can send out MSC without a licence, you just need to rebuild it every time you open the software. However, if this is a simple "GO" trigger, that's not too hard. Alternatively, they do very cheap daily licences to "rent" the software.

However, be aware that you should use a decent MIDI card (or a sound card with MIDI), and not the cheap USB-MIDI cables you can pick up, as these don't always work with MIDI SysEx, which MSC uses.

EDIT TO ADD: More info here: http://www.arvydas.co.uk/2013/07/cheap-usb-midi-cable-some-self-assembly-may-be-required/

Best regards,

Jon

I thought that must be there, but could find no reference to MSC in the Orb manual.

It was added in a software update a while ago, and so was described in the Release Notes, but hasn't made its way into the manual yet (which admittedly is in desperate need of a rewrite). There are several new features coming to ZerOS over the next few months, at which point we'll rewrite the manual to include all of these.

The main thing to be aware of is that currently we only support MSC on Stack 1 (this will be changing soon) and all the settings are in SETUP > Desk Setup > Inputs

It was added in a software update a while ago, and so was described in the Release Notes, but hasn't made its way into the manual yet

Aha - yes, a perennial problem with all sorts of equipment, where you end up with a stack of release notes and supplements as big as the original manual :-)

Archived