Wireless mics for live female vocal?

BigYinUK

Hi all

Currently we're using a wireless SM58 (BLX24) system for our female vocalist. Quality wise its Ok (ish), its an SM58! I'm pleasantly surprised by the wireless side tho'.

However, looking to the future as our singer has a lovely voice, it would be great to bring a little more of that quality to the audience's ears.

Without trying out any systems, which we will obviously do before buying anything - I'm leaning towards either a Beta87 (a or c?) or a Sennheiser e945. This is purely from what I've used myself, or heard with my own ears and/or read.

Can anyone make any other suggestions as to what to look at as we want to get this right, its quite an expensive buy for us?

Has to be wireless though as we're playing big stages and freedom of movement is a must for the stage show.

Regards

Jon

If you can try out a Sennheiser 865 with the singer, that might do you - I've used mine on some female vocalists that it's sounded fantastic on. (It's never sounded bad on anyone - just better on some than others).

May be worth getting hold of the Line6 V75 and playing with playing with the emulations it has. While they don't exactly match what they claim to be, they do give an idea. You could then compare the one(s) you like best to the real thing.

I'd go for a condenser mic on a good female vocalist (in fact I use my wired SE-H1s on any vocalist outside of loud rock/punk/grunge styles etc). I like the smoothness condensers impart compared to the pronounced presence peak of the SM58 et al. Try renting a few wired ones to evaluate in rehearsal if you can. I use the Line 6 V75 at work and they are good if a faf to setup (not a disadvantage in your situation though). You can change the head on them too and it's the standard fitment so replacement capsules from the big manufacturers are an option when you find the model which suits. The only downside is that the 2.4GHz band is more critical on aerial placement than UHF, we got caught out recently with a stageside safety rail (simply a scaff tube) close to the receiver aerials and between them and the stage, a UHF system would have been fine but it was enough to cause dropouts with the Line 6 once the venue filled up with several hundred smartphones all trying to find a WiFi channel. Proper uninterrupted line of sight next time....

I have it in the back of my mind that a condenser insert is *probably* going to give the best results. I'm a big fan of the Beta87 for female vocals but obviously want to try one (and a few others) before committing to a purchase.

The cost of the Beta87a seems to have come down since I last looked! I though I was in for nearly £1000

From memory, you can't put an 87A head on an BLX body.

They are an option, 86, 87A, 87C, on an SLX body. The SLX series are a big step up quality wise in both build quality and audio quality. In my opinion the price is exceptionally competitive considering what you get.

You might be correct in thinking a condenser will suit the vocalist better, I'm going to suggest a better quality radio system will make a bigger difference. Try an a/b test of your BLX with a standard wired 58. I guarantee the wire will sound better.

Don't bother trying the GLX-D, it's dismal.

Cheers,

Peter

I like the 87, but it doesn't suit every female voice. One singer I work with fairly often sounds quite peaky and thin while the Beta 58 seems perfect. Not just singing. My sound op spent nearly an hour with Sarah Millican, and in the end dumped the 87 and went back to an SM58, which suited her speaking voice better. So while I like them on fellas, not so keen on girlies.

@Peter F

Try an a/b test of your BLX with a standard wired 58. I guarantee the wire will sound better.[/Quote]

I would expect wired to sound better but tbh there is way less difference than I expected. Certainly not enough to make the decision not to use wireless on quality.

@Paulears

I agree that the 87 doesn't suit every female voice so we'll be trying various different mics including the Sennheisers mentioned.

Regards

865 head is brilliant

965 is outstanding, however pricey

87 - not a fan

This sums up my impressions exactly.

However, if money is tight, have a listen to the very basic Sennheiser 835--not an expensive mic but to my ears a noticeable improvement on the 58, particularly on female voices. It's also better at feedback rejection.

Just to be silly, my out and out favourite mic for female vocals is the Neumann KMS104 head on the posh Sennheiser transmitter. You'll have to sell a car to buy it but you'll sound great while taking the bus...

I bought some of the Line6 handhelds a couple of years ago, and have to say I've been pretty impressed. The different simulations are quite convincing, as long as you accept that the sound changes but NOT the polar pattern. RF wise they've been excellent, although I reverted back to the original wireless mode - not a single dropout since having them, but you do get the occasional query about how bad the wifi in the venue is (it isn't, just that the Line 6 in original mode eats up rather a lot of it!. Causes interference to others, but doesn't suffer from it!

If you get a chance to play with them, I'd certainly have a go. I bought one of their guitar systems for myself and this is just as good - noise performance is pretty good and the design does not require you to change gain settings for quiet/belty singers.

I have some G2 kit available as well, and tend to use the Line 6 rack first, and only use the Sennheisers when I've run out. The Sennheisers are good, but there always seems to be the occasional ffff, just when you don't expect it.

I would agree with Bobbsy about the Sennheiser 835 - much smoother than the SM58, & it doesn't acquire a dent the first time you look at it. I put several 835s & ew135s (the wireless version) into a venue several years ago &, although I wouldn't claim to be a golden-ears, they sound pretty good on everything I've used them on, & so far every visiting female artist has preferred them to her own "special" mic (male singers seem less picky).

After more than a decade of admittedly lightish use they still sound & look like new, apart from the odd scratch - not a single dented head. The only problem I've had with the wireless versions are occasional crackles with belt-packs, which I suspect are due to the 3.5mm jacks not being screwed on really tightly (bring back Lemos!). The hand-helds have been totally glitch- & dropout-free.

I usually avoid Shure dynamics, unless the rider demands 58s or Beta-58s, but I did use an old SM48 (58-copy made in Mexico; though I think now the 58s are made in Mexico as well) for a recent series of Comedy Clubs (4 acts & a compere, so quite a variety of voices) & was pleasantly surprised how good it sounded.

Archived