Speaker output voltage test

Guido

Hi folks,

This is a bit of a weird one, I'm trting to use a speaker signal to switch a transistor, more precisely, using the speaker signal from a set of cans to switch a transistor.

Is it possible and how would I go about finding the output voltage? I've already got a base reading from the headset speaker pins on theobelt pack of 5mv, but this doesn't seem to fluctuate at all when a sound is applied to the com's. Is it jjust that my meter isn't sensitive enough?

Any help is appreciated

Ta

...and some meters won't measure small AC signals anyway. Do you want a voice operated switch? 'cos it's a little more complex than driving a transistor with audio. There's a load of simplish circuits out there for amplifying, rectifying and driving switching transistors, just google "voice operated switch".

...and some meters won't measure small AC signals anyway. Do you want a voice operated switch? 'cos it's a little more complex than driving a transistor with audio. There's a load of simplish circuits out there for amplifying, rectifying and driving switching transistors, just google "voice operated switch".

That sounds very much like the little "sound-to-motor" circuits you often found in halogen disco effects, such as the infamous Martin Ministar.

Or dare I suggest, a single channel sound-to-light unit!

The headphone output is a low level audio signal.

Conventionally, you'd stick that through a simple op amp circuit to amplify, rectify and smooth it then stuff the output of that into a transistor to switch whatever you are trying to switch.

Archived