Battery powered LED Ropelight

Wingwalker

Dear all,

I need to find a ropelight for an outdoor event 20m in length coloured red that is battery powered. This will be used as a safety marker to ensure that people do not step too close to a river edge at night time and thus end up in the drink. LED is obviously the way forward but I need to find something that is waterproof and runs off a bettery.

Does anyone have any ideas what exists and where I may find such an item?

David.

I was thinking more that TLC would be likely to deliver in a shorter term, and you can check they have it in stock in the uk before ordering.

The submersible stuff should be up to the job of being used outdoors. We've used some of the completely encapsulated tape which has a rounded profile and it is pretty tough. The lower cost stuff I have only has a very thin layer of plastic over the LEDs - probably ok for a single use but I'd be worried about it standing up to being used more than once outdoors and not getting damaged.

I was thinking more that TLC would be likely to deliver in a shorter term, and you can check they have it in stock in the uk before ordering.

The submersible stuff should be up to the job of being used outdoors. We've used some of the completely encapsulated tape which has a rounded profile and it is pretty tough. The lower cost stuff I have only has a very thin layer of plastic over the LEDs - probably ok for a single use but I'd be worried about it standing up to being used more than once outdoors and not getting damaged.

It's true. But TLC £21 plus vat plus delivery for 5m, ebay £6.50 with free delivery for 5m (the ebay stuff is only 30 LEDs per metre, and the TLC stuff is 60, but for the application the cheaper stuff would be fine).

You are right about waterproofness. The silicone encapsulated stuff which is mostly what is sold as "waterproof" is just splashproof. It goes all milky if left continuously damp or wet for a prolonged time (weeks). Again I think it would be OK for the application though if dried out afterwards.

Indeed. A case of you pays your money and you takes your choice, and there are options.

I'd be slightly concerned about chaining four lengths of tape together without trying it first as the far end might be a little bit dim, although probably still clearly visible in the dark outdoors.

Archived