Subwoofer options

Alec97

I am in need of an upgrade, at the moment I run a pair of electrovoice sb122's alongside my sx300's but the sb122's just haven't got the power and punch I want and need. So, I've been looking around and here's a couple that have tickled my fancy.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_box_ta18.htmI like the look of these but are they any good? can't really find any reviews online

https://www.studiospares.com/Headphones-and-Speakers/Sub-Bass-Speakers/Auditorium-2-218SC-Passive-18%22-Sub-Woofer_248870.htm#rtabs2

These as a passive option. Once again are they any good ?The specs of these for the price is pretty good

Cheers alec,

German magazine tools4music compared four active subs a couple of years ago:

Behringer B-1800D, IMG Stage Line PSUB-18L, Mackie SRM 1801 and Thomann TA 18. Behringer's sub "won" the test.

Behringer and Thomann are (were) in the same price range (425EUR). They're probably all made in China by now.

So if you want my suggestion: have a look at the Behringer.

Norbert

apples and oranges - you need to compare like with like

the box TA subs are their budget end and in this case active. not passive as per the studiospares range.

the box budget stuff is no great shakes but good value for money - I have used both their active and passive monitors. I haven't specifically used their 18" subs.

I have a set of their passive 12" for a rehearsal room application - they are OK but I wouldn't take them out live. think Peavey quality in construction and performance (at best).

I have traveled this road looking for decent subs on a budget - the studiospares auditorium range are well respected for the money - a decent investment - you should also look at the thomann achat pro range - extremely well respected for the money.

all this said - I think it will help if you post what you are trying to do and where. It may be you have wider issues to consider than just 'what's the best budget 18" sub?"

Archived