Dimmable LED Christmas Tree Lights

mikelx

Probably wont dim to zero, usually get a bit of a glow with leak across the snubber, some sort of resistive load across the dimmer as well helps, multidim with a 15W pygmy lamp in other socket has worked for me in past.

If they are transformer fed LV strings might be possible to use a LED driver in place of the dimmer.

Do they HAVE to be LED ?

Series wired incandescent Christmas lights are very cheap from poundland and the like and dim just fine from a standard dimmer. I would connect them via a 13 amp plug with a 3 amp fuse and not directly to a 15 amp dimmed outlet, these cheap lights have very thin wire and I would prefer them on a 3 amp or smaller fuse.

If the lights do have to be LED, then the standard mains ones that use a wall wart will dim to an extent, but not very well.

Thanks for your replies

Not sure what you mean Tim by a low voltage DMX dimmer?

No they don't have to be LED.

I have dimmed tungsten lights with a dummy load in the circuit before.

Just trying to anticipate the situation when tungsten is no more as well as a designer wanting to be "up to date"

Instead of taking a mains (240V) input, the dimmer takes a lower voltage input, usually 12V, so it can be supplied either by a transformer or a battery. Like a mains dimmer it is controlled by a regular DMX signal.

You can also get low voltage dimmers that are controlled wirelessly, so if you need to truck the tree on and off this means you don't have a load of cables trailing across the stage.

Thanks for your replies

No they don't have to be LED.

I have dimmed tungsten lights with a dummy load in the circuit before.

Just trying to anticipate the situation when tungsten is no more as well as a designer wanting to be "up to date"

LV DMX dimmer, you put a permanently powered 12V power supply on one end and it outputs PWM (chopped) power to the LEDs. It's the only way to get proper 0-100% dimming of LEDs.

Random example from ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/261607542439

However if you can stick to old-style incandescent fairy lights on a conventional dimmer, I'd do that.

Archived