Touring with our own mixing console

BigYinUK

Hi all

Next year we are planning to tour with our own mixing console, which will in all likelihood be a Behringer X32.

We will obviously be putting this in our rider, but are there any specific issues we might come across with venues that we might need to be aware of in advance, anything else we should add to the rider to avoid problems?

Regards

Jon

Tell the venue what you will send them as signal for their rack room or for a channel in their mixer. -We will supply you with AES/EBU or SPDF or analog stereo line out or whatever located at wherever. You are still reliant on the venue for driving it's own sound system well to suit their particular acoustics.

Hi all

Next year we are planning to tour with our own mixing console, which will in all likelihood be a Behringer X32.

We will obviously be putting this in our rider, but are there any specific issues we might come across with venues that we might need to be aware of in advance, anything else we should add to the rider to avoid problems?

Regards

Jon

We have touched on this a little previously in a thread and privately. My experience is pretty positive with those small and mid sized theatres.

I was mixing at an 800 cap north west theatre a few weeks ago for a couple of name 60s bands and had sorted out in advance various issues (as you do) but on the day I was talking to the house sound tech as I cabled up and the mood seems to have changed. last year I was getting ' ah..the new x32, haven't seen one of those but heard good things..is it any good?' followed by compliments post show.

this particular tech may be a good barometer for the future ' no, haven't worked one of those yet but we get them coming in all the time now'. business as usual.

their MC7CL looked like the cover hadn't been taken off in a while.

Just as an aside I asked for a simple LR connection to the house system - on the day was presented with LR subs, LR hung line array, centre mini fills. Luckily I had only a week or so before got into programming up matrix outs - it took me about 5 minutes to program up (and that was me being slow and deliberate.)

My point being that you should not have any issues whatsoever with theatres and other venues (the genesis tribute band I occasionally work with use x32 all over the country in the Academy venues and civic theatres etc) but it would be a good idea to get into programming matrix outs if you haven't already. to be honest I was pushed into it when a crossover came back from a loan 'dead' but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise - forced me into familiarising myself AND gave a much better sound to my small bar rig.

Most theatres are used to touring productions bringing in their own desk but each varies how they handle it - whether by moving out their console, or having a separate guest mixing position.

Put down exactly what cabling you need from the venue - are you providing S16's and Cat5 lines, or using the venue stageboxes and multicore? How many returns from FOH do you need? What power do you need at FOH? Where do your FOH signals appear - on the desk or on your stage boxes? (Got caught out by that one the other week with a tour who had L/R from FOH and the delays / fills fed from stage). How much space do you need at FOH? Can supports use your desk, or do they need to use the house equipment?

Put down exactly what cabling you need from the venue - are you providing S16's and Cat5 lines, or using the venue stageboxes and multicore? How many returns from FOH do you need? What power do you need at FOH? Where do your FOH signals appear - on the desk or on your stage boxes? (Got caught out by that one the other week with a tour who had L/R from FOH and the delays / fills fed from stage). How much space do you need at FOH? Can supports use your desk, or do they need to use the house equipment?

Yup, that's right on the button with all the practical questions.

Bringing in a desk is always fine with me.

I'd prefer that we didn't have to remove our current desk, so better if you can set up alongside.

I prefer you patching into our system via channels, rather than taking over all the feeds. That way you can de-rig at the end of the night without interrupting post-show music. Also easier to mix support on our desk.

If there's any kit sharing on stage, then it really helps if we can use your desk for support.

Like S&L, it's X32s we're seeing brought in most commonly, along with Pro 2s. A few X32 users are a bit apologetic - not needed! One was even taking his into Dingwalls, in preference to their VI6! But quite right - better to stick with the lesser desk that you're familiar with than to play with the "better" big boy's toy for a one-off.

just an added thought -

the venue I referred to above required needed monitors and FOH patching from the desk position to theirs (using local outs) but we hired in a couple of S16's for stage and a duracat cat5e with ethercons - all to spec. we tried using the venue's installed cat5 system from FOH to stage (set up for their yamaha presumably) but it didn't recognise the boxes via their system - ran out our duracat and it connected without any problems over 75m, the moral of the story - by all means try a venues cat5 system but remember that this is midas/behringer's own protocol and grounding arrangement so be prepared to use your own.

Thanks everyone for your comments. A few points from me.

1. We won't initially be using S16 stage boxes so we're planning to use the house's stage boxes and multicore. We have a 24/8 30m multi of we need it.

2. We rarely have a support act, though if we do its always someone we provide and of course we'd use our desk.

3. We don't use any house monitoring as we use our own P16 system which has its own splitter and is run from the stage.

4. Only returns from us will be L+R and one aux which we use for a drum mix into the P16s

The main reasons we're interested in doing it this way are:

a. We think we can save a lot of time soundchecking as we have no backline and use all our own mics including on the drums so sound check times should be really quick.

b. We use a lot of preset effects on the vocals and that's song by song. This will of course already be set up on the X32. Wave plugins :)

Regards all

1. We won't initially be using S16 stage boxes so we're planning to use the house's stage boxes and multicore. We have a 24/8 30m multi of we need it.

Just watch out for venues that now have only CAT5 systems of a different flavour. If the box on stage is A&H for instance, then you'll have to use your analogue multi (or mix from a tablet).

Just watch out for venues that now have only CAT5 systems of a different flavour. If the box on stage is A&H for instance, then you'll have to use your analogue multi (or mix from a tablet).

Seeing this more and more in theatres across the country, particularly A&H iLive systems.

Archived