Westminster College - Theatre Electrics Course

Yep did the day release course (parts I & II over two years), forgotten half of it. The full time course parts I & II in one year comes with (or used to) one day a week secondment in the industry. Which might help you with work once you pass.

It finally seems that most employers are asking for qualifications if you are going to play , humph use electrcity at work. The apprentice scheme if it is still going where you got the 236 I think was worthwhile. I had a couple of friends complete the course.

I would suggest doing the course now to improve your employment prospects before you are comitted to working full time as it can be quite hectic to squeeze in a full time job with a day a week at college, exams and homework.

Go along on the Tuesday evening: Course Information And they may be able to help you it's free.

;)

Depends on what type of job you intend to go for but if you have the choice -Electronics would be far more useful.

Also should you want a career change you can go into the equipment servicing industry. Wages for equipment service staff circa £15 - 20 per hour = more money, but not as much fun as working in at theatre.

Employment in theatre is largely based on experience not qualifcations. Hopefully with an electronics course you should gain some qualifcation in working with electricity.

Would it be posible to frelance and do a bit of theatre and a bit of electronics work, as theatre is great fun but money sounds good ;) too.

Anyway, back to sam's course....

Also, sam, is there a problem with my maths?, cos I worked out you must be 15. Maybee I should find a calculator?? ;)

no theres nothing wrong with your maths, just my profile writing skills.

Also I am really into design (not as much a technical) theres nothing stopping me designing later on is there, in the way of qualifications is there ?

There is no reason why you even need to do a degree etc to get to where you want to go... It's a common thing with schools today, that teachers will almost force you into believing that you have to go to uni or have further education of some sort to be who you want to be.

Rubbish.

If your a hard worker and can prove what you know and can do, then people will realise that, and you give you a chance (say being a cassie), which will allow you to do even more etc etc.

Don't close one door for the sake of opening another if it's not needed.

Stu

(PS. I take great delight in telling some of my old teachers who told me I would never get anywhere without a Degree that I'm doing very well without one. And none of the debt that goes with it. It don't half make em scowl ;))

I take great delight in telling some of my old teachers who told me I would never get anywhere without a Degree that I'm doing very well without one. And none of the debt that goes with it. It don't half make em scowl )

Your sgnature says

If I had work I'd put it here
?

Oh it's the smart arse of the board!! ;)

I've worked solidly since November, without any time off, doing god knows how many hours, so now I'm having a little break before I go out on tour in September doing some relighting.

Is that OK?! ;)

Stu

Well it's on my profile, and I only put current stuff in my sig, and as I'm doing bugger all, I've not put anything there! hehe

Trust me, when you start doing this job full time, it doesn't half do wonders to your back.... Hmmm

Stu

Well basically it's taking the original Lighting Design, and modifying it for a tour (so, say to save on £££, or make things quicker for the fitup) or changing it about here and there when going to vastly different venues - while keeping it faithful to the original LD.

Anyone feel free to add anything else if they want too.

Stu

Hello there,

To go back to the City and Guilds 1810 course, I'm currently doing the Part Two of the 2360 course at City of Westminster and I'd just like to say DON'T GO THERE!!!!

The college is terrible, they couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery, the standards of teaching are appalling. I'm counting down the days till I do my exams and then I'm planning on avoiding Edgware Road and that college for the rest of my life......

Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear. However, apparently City and Islington college in North London are a lot better organised and have better staff. Hopefully people who can actually answer your questions.

As regards the courses, the 1810 is good if you want to learn about theatre lighting type stuff whereas if you want to be a "proper" electrician, ie on-site or rewiring people's houses, then the 2360 is the one for you.

Hope that helps

Jane

I'm hoping to start doing the complete 2360 next year via distance learning from South Kent Uni.

Rose Bruford used to send all the lampies to Westminister to do it as part of the course - but as Jane says, the place is so awful and it turned into such a hasstle that they stopped it.

Archived