Very Old Zero 88 Console

Ken Coker

Comrades

Does anyone have a photograph of a very old (1981-83) Zero 88 console. 36(?)-way, three preset and with a slot for an FX cartridge. Yellow fascia? No pin matrix and, obviously, analogue.

It's the desk I lit RTTFP on. I'm doing a lecture on my lighting career tomorrow and I thought it might be amusing to drop it in.

The lecture might be called "A Swine Before A Pearl".......but perhaps not.

Thanks

KC

Hmmm - the only Zero88 desk which was three preset I can recall was the Lightmaster 3600 which was modular and had two cartridge slots (and I am pretty sure the BBC used to use them). There was also the Eclipse which used a cartridge and up to 48 channels I think but I am pretty sure that was 2-preset?

Image of the Eclipse here. Can't find any images for the Lightmaster 3600 if that is the desk you were thinking of?

If neither of these then I am stumped!

Wow - I am pretty sure that at the time I only ever saw black and white photos of this desk, possibly even only drawings (such as you used to get in Strand publications of the time) hence why the yellow clue gave no trigger. But of course Ken could come on now and say "Nah, that's not it"! Now I am trying to remember when this desk came out, because the early Strand digital desks were just starting to come out while I was still at school (left in 1972) and these made use of the diode pins in a similar way. So I suspect this might be a late 1970s - early 1980s vintage as it is pre-computerised but only just by the look of things.

However I wonder why Zero 88 abandoned the high ground and went for the smaller end in the future and are only just getting back with the Orb? In fact, one could say a Solution XL is not so different to the Lightmaster 3600... Maybe that was it - it was too far ahead of its time for a company which maybe didn't yet have a reputation (although if the BBC were using it then I would have thought that was a salesman's dream)?

Brian - you are surely not saying you have one of these beasts? If so is it going into the heritage collection to accompany the Eclipse?

Comrades

Great stuff and many thanks. A 3600 indeed.

It does appear to be modular, so that could be why I didn't have a pin matrix.....although it was a long time ago...

If anyone would like the original B&W TV we used to cue the videos I can deliver it...

Many thanks..

KX

Brian - you are surely not saying you have one of these beasts? If so is it going into the heritage collection to accompany the Eclipse?

I do indeed have one sitting in my store. It's part of the NEET collection which will eventually end in the backstageheritage archive. It was donated by Pearce Hire although it lives in a Mushroom Hire flightcase.

I have this and think I can lay my hand on a manual as well, so pm on the address below and I will send it to you.

Date I have from the circuit info 1976.

http://www.cooperdownloads.com/share/Tech%20Manual/LM3600-colour.jpg

Archived