Smelly boots - boric acid

Ashley R

I'm not sure I'd be putting tablespoons or even teaspoons full of the powder in boots. I just put a light dusting in mine from time to time.

The action of boric acid on fungal growths is more complex than just raising acidity. I'm not sure why it kills almost all fungal growths (including wet and dry rot).

The potassium permanganate soaks are great for killing bacterial infections on feet when you end up with trench foot from working in wet or muddy areas. You only need a tiny amount (a few small crystals) in a warm tub of water. The crystals turn the water a vivid pink/purple and the correct amount for a soak is a strong pink colour. Be aware that potassium permanganate stains everything it touches. Stick your feet in the tub and browse the Internet while your feet soak. A few regular treatments will kill most skin infections. It's not a replacement for boric acid in the control of foot fungus though.

And remember.... Adding a good quantity of boric acid to methylated spirits results in a bright green flame. But best not done indoors as it tends to put a haze of dust into the air like old haze pots did.

I'm not sure I'd be putting tablespoons or even teaspoons full of the powder in boots. I just put a light dusting in mine from time to time.

The action of boric acid on fungal growths is more complex than just raising acidity. I'm not sure why it kills almost all fungal growths (including wet and dry rot).

The potassium permanganate soaks are great for killing bacterial infections on feet when you end up with trench foot from working in wet or muddy areas. You only need a tiny amount (a few small crystals) in a warm tub of water. The crystals turn the water a vivid pink/purple and the correct amount for a soak is a strong pink colour. Be aware that potassium permanganate stains everything it touches. Stick your feet in the tub and browse the Internet while your feet soak. A few regular treatments will kill most skin infections. It's not a replacement for boric acid in the control of foot fungus though.

And remember.... Adding a good quantity of boric acid to methylated spirits results in a bright green flame. But best not done indoors as it tends to put a haze of dust into the air like old haze pots did.

I was surprised after all that chemistry Clive didn't have a explosive use on the first page - you getting soft in your old age? Word has it your not even spending 4 weeks in a cherry picker in Glasgow this year! (South side was competed today)

It's actually a pretty tame chemical (unless you're a fungus) so the only pyro application I can find for it is the really nice vivid green flame it produces. Perfect for Halloween.

Sadly I'm not working on the George Square lights this year. Me and my brother are sharing the duty of looking after my mum who has dementia, so I'm having to reduce work a bit.

I've been doing the Xmas lights in George Square with NL for well over 20 years, so it feels a bit odd not to be doing it this year.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have to commend his scientific endeavours with his employers entire electrical output....

"He was also responsible for causing a blackout across Rutherglen when he attempted to produce artificial diamonds by passing an enormous current through a stick of graphite."

These experiments must be done. This is why I can't work with power distribution companies. :angry:

It does look like the real secret to his sock was the borax impregnation keeping the feet sterile and fresh. (Borax is unrefined boric acid.)

Archived