Interconnected Set Pieces Help

brkirk51

There is a student production in which I am in charge of designing and building the set pieces. Most of these are rather simple and straight forward jobs, except one.

One of the pieces has to have three slots (although two would work) from which a large hand prop must be able to slide into and out from, while being stable when inserted. It's supposed to be a giant wall outlet (probably h-5' w-2', although subject for change) with a removable plug that can be removed during the production.

My first thought is to build small boxes behind the holes in the outlet for the prongs of the plug to slide into, but I'm worried about actors being able to remove the plug easily during the middle of the act. The removal of the plug is very important as it is a part of the climax of the show, and the production hinges on this moment.

I've never attempted anything like this before, and I was hoping that someone on this forum with more experience could give some tips on how to make this. Thank you very much for any advice, and if you need any more information please let me know.

http://cdn.gajitz.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/wall-outlet.jpg

just for reference to help with visualization

I would consider some blue polystyrene foam (its really high density and carveable) with a couple of metal inserts in the prongs to the head (think L shaped) to help stop them moving. Carve the head with the same foam and laminate some foam on the bottom to hold the metal inserts in place.

Cover the whole thing with a PVA/water on muslin mix (google scrimming) (thinking low grade office paper might be smoother) and paint with hammerite. The Plug I would just build a boxed with some reinforcement of timber on the outside in some 3mm timber with a good margin maybe 3-5mm if needs be grease with candle wax.

Is the plug in the socket all the time, and just get pulled out once? If so, slightly undersized prongs, with elastic straps holding them against one side (probably the bottom) the socket may work, if they've got a smooth finish.

Archived