Linking iMacs in Qlab

Alec97

Hi,

I'm new to Qlab and have been set a task of finding a way to use 5 apple iMacs running Qlab 1 being the master so when I hit go the 4 also respond and "go". I know they all have to be on the same local network etc. I also need the functionality to control each individual mac from the master. The idea is to run 4 macs and extend desktop then connect each one to its own screen which will then be placed on stage and the screens rigged in conjunction with the set design and then they all need to be controlled via 1 master mac in the tech box.

What I need to know is how to actually do this on Qlab ?Or another option would be to run just 1 mac with Qlab in the tech box and somehow send 4 separate desktops over cat 5 to the screens on stage, I presume this would require some sort of external graphics card ? Any ideas ?

Cheers

Alec

Hi,

I'm new to Qlab and have been set a task of finding a way to use 5 apple iMacs running Qlab 1 being the master so when I hit go the 4 also respond and "go". I know they all have to be on the same local network etc. I also need the functionality to control each individual mac from the master. The idea is to run 4 macs and extend desktop then connect each one to its own screen which will then be placed on stage and the screens rigged in conjunction with the set design and then they all need to be controlled via 1 master mac in the tech box.

What I need to know is how to actually do this on Qlab ?Or another option would be to run just 1 mac with Qlab in the tech box and somehow send 4 separate desktops over cat 5 to the screens on stage, I presume this would require some sort of external graphics card ? Any ideas ?

Cheers

Alec

Apologies for not directly answering the question, but could you expand on what you are trying to achieve? I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking there must be a more streamlined way of doing what you want!

If you already have the macs and licensing available MIDI will do this easily. MIDI I believe can be sent natively over network by OSX with some configuration as well.

I thought there was some native workspace following in Qlab designed for backup machines making all systems on the same network follow by cue number (so perhaps the content could be different) but I haven't got a machine in front of me to test.

Worth mentioning recent MacBook pros can run 3 external displays (1x HDMI and 2x Thunderbolt output) and the iMac can run 2 (2x Thunderbolt out) without any additional hardware which could reduce the number of machines. There are cleaner ways of doing it if you don't have the macs already with double/triple head2go etc.

Not sure if AppleTV can be routed as a qlab video output either, but you can extend desktop onto it so it may be a possibility.

Apologies for not directly answering the question, but could you expand on what you are trying to achieve? I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking there must be a more streamlined way of doing what you want!

Basically I have 4 screens that will be placed withing the scenery on stage and I need some way of controlling them individually and all together when needed ie 4 extended desktops. Thinking Qlab is the best bet because we already have it, we have access to 5 iMacs if we need and have a decent budget if we need to buy a external graphic card.The master iMac will be in the tech box and screens will be on stage so we will need to route it through cat5.Hope this helps

Alec

Our students sometimes do this using MSC to control the cue lists on each instance of Qlab (so, as above, MIDI) and remote desktop to each machine from the Master to work on the cue lists.

The Macs are networked together and the MIDI session is set up in OSX, actually 'lectric sent around via the network/Cat 5 etc. It has the benefit of using multiple lower spec machines to run lots of different video outputs locally to the projection/screen source. The downside is administrating different machines that are often spread around the place and while the solution isn't perhaps the pro method of running multiple media servers or using things like the Datapath, it does help with the network/show control learning.

It's an option, as long as you have Qlab MIDI licences on each machine and understanding how to network, set up MIDI and use MSC in Qlab.

Likewise as above. However I would have thought you could get at least 2 displays running off each Mac at minimal cost, perhaps with a couple of DualHead2Go or similar, or natively depending on the model.

Also - I have seen USB to VGA el cheap graphics cards used successfully enough for this purpose, but usually on a Mac Mini, to use the native on-board graphics as the actual content video display output, and then El Cheapo USB use as the admin/local cue list output.

The main issue you'll find with so many individual machines is them losing sync between each other. you MIGHT be ok depending on the content (e.g. if it doesn't have any snap cuts or talking that needs syncing to audio or short clips) but personally I wouldn't risk it...

If you do have the budget I'd either rent software which will syncronise frames across multiple machines or rent a single machine (Mac Pro would be best, as you may struggle with that much playback on an imac) either with multiple graphics cards or a Datapth X4 as suggested above.

Archived