rough costings for rigging install

Prodman22

Im currently creating a report into the lack of rigging facilities in our theatre and have been asked to make proposals with estimated costs for a possible over-hall/refurbishment.

I don't have time to bring in several companies and wait for quotes at this stage and just need to provide a rough cost for the following proposal.

- Replace three hand pile winch bars over the stage to Hall Stage electric DGV Winch Pilewind Electric 500kg 3 line (8mmCable) Slow Speed or similar

-Provide power install for the above

- structural engineer reports on SWL of room beams for below

-Install 8 x 1 ton loadstar chain hoists (we already have the hoists but in our studio theatre, which are not needed in there.) into the theatre, re-chain to 14 meters of chain in each hoist. Rig height of theatre 12 meters

-Purchase 4 x 8m spans of prolyte HV30 Truss + rigging hardware, we already have 2 x 8m HV30 spans already.

-Rig truss to motors as FOH and overstage trusses this could be done by myself once the points are in place.

-purchase 8 way motor controller + power cables

-labour costs and access equipment

Im estimating roughly - £35,000 for the total contract including VAT based on 3 days work

Am I being realistic here ?

In bits:

- Replace three hand pile winch bars over the stage to Hall Stage electric DGV Winch Pilewind Electric 500kg 3 line (8mmCable) Slow Speed or similar

-Provide power install for the above

- structural engineer reports on SWL of room beams for below

Any reason for that particular model? What control do you envisage for those winches? Would you want them single speed or vari-speed?

If you can afford it I would recommend varispeed, it means you can run them quickly but via acceleration and deceleration curves which means they do not stop suddenly and thus generic fixtures are less likely to drop their focus. Bear in mind the slow speed model you spec'd runs at 3.3m/min which, in a 12-metre roof, means 4 minutes top to bottom. Quite a while. Although I suspect the varispeed model may top out at that speed.

The cost it's harder to judge is the structural engineer's report. There are many factors that can affect the price so you are really best just asking them.

-Install 8 x 1 ton loadstar chain hoists (we already have the hoists but in our studio theatre, which are not needed in there.) into the theatre, re-chain to 14 meters of chain in each hoist. Rig height of theatre 12 meters

-Purchase 4 x 8m spans of prolyte HV30 Truss + rigging hardware, we already have 2 x 8m HV30 spans already.

-Rig truss to motors as FOH and overstage trusses this could be done by myself once the points are in place.

-purchase 8 way motor controller + power cables

-labour costs and access equipment

What length chains have you currently got then?

RUD 1-ton chain tends to be £15-20 a metre list... yes fairly expensive. So for 8x 14m chains you could be looking at £2000+

Can you access the top side of the beams by fixed access (IE grid) or is it a case of bringing in access or...? There are lots of variables. You will also need to factor in the cost of permanent brackets or lugs to suspend the motors... spansets / steel baskets are not generally suitable for permanent installation. You should generally also try to use a fixed bracket between motor and truss, too.

How many spans of truss do you need to install? How many motors per span? If it's 2 per span - the trusses, particularly those over FOH - may need secondary suspensions / 'safeties', which if access to install a safety wire rope to the truss is no good, may need to be some kind of inertia reel. You could also consider additional motors, over audience I tend to work towards 4, in a 4-motor suspension, you should be able to have one hoist suffer complete catastrophic failure without the truss being dropped. You could also consider buying things like BS-7906 Cat A hoists which are certified for suspension over an audience without secondaries.

Why have you chosen H30V? What do you really need to achieve? Do you need it powder coated black? I do have the opinion that, particularly for install, Milos 290 heavy duty is a perfectly good substitute for H30V and costs less. How will you do cable management? Should you consider some kind of permanent moving cable tray - such as flip flops - or are you just going to hang your loom independently?

Honestly there are a huge amount of variables here and the brief needs to be a bit more detailed before any kind of cost estimate can be made. Maybe you should involve a supplier just for their recommendations and product knowledge. I can recommend you plenty of companies who can do this where you are.

Archived