New Desk from PreSonus

MarkPAman

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Soon there'll be a whole generation of youngsters growing up who'll be amazed at our quaint, old-fashioned desks with clunky mechanical faders and knobs rather than just a touchscreen!

I have never done the research but I shouldn't be surprised if those that love mixing on ipads are under 30 and those that loath it are over 40. me?...over 40...real faders til I die!

1409856973[/url]' post='506747']
1409834306[/url]' post='506723']

Soon there'll be a whole generation of youngsters growing up who'll be amazed at our quaint, old-fashioned desks with clunky mechanical faders and knobs rather than just a touchscreen!

I have never done the research but I shouldn't be surprised if those that love mixing on ipads are under 30 and those that loath it are over 40. me?...over 40...real faders til I die!

Sorry, I'm 61 and I love iPad mixing (DL1608, X32 Compact to come this year). Don't get me wrong, faders rule but don't write off the iPad paradigm, for some jobs it's the dogs bits http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif.

For anyway even on the ipad or any apple product a touch interface will still have the 'press the touch screen' ooh it hasnt done anything, has it recognised my press or will it respond in a second?

This is not a problem for my non work life but when I want something muted or a fader moved up & down, it HAS to respond, a fader & a hardware button have so far not failed to repond! Well at least in my current analogue world! Partly soon to be upgrade to an X32.

Actually analogue switches can fail to respond, I did a Sweeney Todd in April and Todd's mic channel mute button was somewhat unreliable (house desk, not my own) requiring a firm press to ensure it latched into the mute position http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

I lived with it as I would have had to re-patch the desk and multi to move him to another channel and re-mark the script to relate to the new channels. I left it as I didn't want to risk introducing cueing errors after the tech rehearsal, it did catch me out briefly a couple of times but nothing serious.

If all else were equal (cost, space etc) is there actually anybody that thinks a touch screen is better than real faders & buttons? They are very good for PEQ though....

Depends on the task and the layout. I think the way the Vi series implements touch screens alongside physical knobs, buttons and faders is great. I find it far better than some other digital desks that have excluded touch, and kept a single knob/button for every function.

Archived