Strand goes up in Smoke

bothamp

So I'm not the most prolific user of Blue Room unless there is something that I need and this is no exception.

After a summer of down time and maintenance we have just started turning everything back on in preparation for our new tern and season. However on this occasion our Strand 510i back up quite literally went up in smoke, and what a pleasant smell that was!

Sadly we are still not in a position where we can replace our desk nor back up to something which is a little more current lets say, so this is a plea to anyone who may have a Strand 510i, 520 or 530 desk sat around gathering dust who would like to see it go to a good home?

Paul

Talk to the guys at Used Lighting - they've generally got 500 series consoles for sale - they might have some not so pretty looking ones that they'd do a deal on.

Failing that an Intel chipset motherboard with a Pentium 2 from eBay should do the job - anyone used to fiddling around in PC's should be able to swap it - the only thing you need to be careful about is whether the CS board and chip got damaged as that holds your serial number.

If the fault was enough to make part of the board catch fire, then I'd be looking for the cause of that before replacing the desk. Having parts of the desk catch fire is a bit extreme, and not something I've ever seen before apart from on a recent festival where a live and neutral got swapped over/ shorted out and everything on that distro saw 400 volts. And then went bang!

The RNCM can't afford a new desk? Blimey......

Setting that aside, I'd give Keith Hartley a ring at AC North; he's a genius at fixing consoles and his number is on the AC-ET contacts page.

Failing that, I have a knackered old Pearl gathering dust just down the road at Sound Control......

KC

We still have at least one of our retired 520i consoles - there might be another one lurking in a store somewhere as well, but I'd have to check. We could possibly be persuaded to sell one to you, if the price is right (but they do still occasionally go out on hire, so it's not as though they're of no real value to us - any offer should reflect that!).

Thanks for all the advise and help, I know Keith is a wiz and fixing anything however it would be a miracle if he can fix a ball of melted plastic and circuitry. I have since managed to borrow a 510i from the LTC on a short term loan unit a permanent replacement can be sourced. The one good thing that has come out of this however is a conversation regarding the replacement of the Theatre control system with something a little more current. However with the Concert Hall refit nearing completion the focus at the moment is on getting that up and running. Thanks again.

Archived