Miss Saigon

LXbydesign

Anybody here who was / is working on the show?

What are the units lighting the cyc / backdrop? I assume they are LED something but what?!! The dimming and colour changes are so smooth and great even coverage. In particular the sequence where during a song it changes from night to rising sun / dawn. Absolutely stunning.

Has to be my favorite lighting design so far along with Charlie / Choc factory.

I don't KNOW but every cam-mack production for the past 10 years or so has used digital cyc technology - basically a low resolution LED video wall just behind the cyc so that they can get incredibly even and detailed shanding/movement on to the cyc without having to worry about shadows. Crazy expensive but looks amazing and a lot less hassle

http://robhalliday.c...eChallenge.html

I don't KNOW but every cam-mack production for the past 10 years or so has used digital cyc technology - basically a low resolution LED video wall just behind the cyc so that they can get incredibly even and detailed shanding/movement on to the cyc without having to worry about shadows. Crazy expensive but looks amazing and a lot less hassle

http://robhalliday.c...eChallenge.html

I doing a play where I could have used something like this and will remember it for again I do have a led matrix curtain and it mite not be enough for some stages but could of work something out.

The biggest complication / problem they had was ensuring enough even light spread - those LED matrix curtains are exactly what you need..... but not in black as you loose too much light that way. I remember seeing the INCREDIBLE difference between the early prototypes just because they painted the front of the panels white thus capturing and reflecting back vastly more light.

This is one of those areas of technology where once china cotton on to it there will be a $100 unit made which out-performs the £300k Poppins cyc.

Archived