Dimmer on MV 250h

Nicky2503

Hi,

New to this forum so cut me some slack. I have a pair of Stairville MV 250h moving heads and looking at the channel list there is a 7th channel as the dimmer channel. Using sunlite it makes no effect, neither on a mixer.

Can you please clarify the use of the 7th channel?

Thanks

Nicholas

I don't know what channel list you are looking at but I only have this listed as a 5 channel fixture and this manual appears to say the same. Those being Pan, Tilt, Shutter, Gobo and Colour in that order. No dimmer.

Page 4 listed as 5ch mode, page 13 listed as 7 ch mode! With ch7 as dimmer... Presume both should work!? But I can't find any reference to different channel count mode settings, only position modes, ie: how it is physically placed.

I see. Good point. Well, welcome to my world of writing personalities. Disappointingly the manuals are often wrong or condradictory and it really doesn't help when the pages are all over the place like in that pdf, especially as there are no numbers to help you! However, I have found the majority of manufacturers are very helpful if you contact them with queries like this. Sometimes it is useful for them as they can make corrections. So I suggest emailing Stairville (maybe Thomann?) and ask.

I do suspect that the 7 channel bit is wrong though. Patching a bunch of individual dimmers is the best way to test but as you say there aren't any obvious options to set a mode like this on the fixture anyway. If it used a discharge lamp I'd say open up the fixture and see if there is a mechanical dimmer blade but as it's halogen theoretically it could have an electronic dimmer. Again my instincts are this is very unlikely!

Thanks for all you replies. Do you know how to contact Stairville directly, or do I have to contact thomann? Thanks for your quick replies. Also I would like to ask some advice on hooking up an XLR to a DMX, we obviously use terminators?

Pretty sure Stairville is Thomann's own brand so contact them. I have always found them very helpful. I'm sure you will be able to find their contact details easily enough ;)

Not sure what you mean about XLR to DMX. XLR is a type of connector, DMX is a protocol. The vast majority of fixtures and controllers use XLR as the connector for DMX. Some are 5 pin, some 3 pin. Ideally they should all be 5 pin but only three are needed... pin 1 is always ground/shield, pin 2 is usually data - and pin 3 usually data + although sometimes you find pin 2 and 3 the other way around.

Archived