Jump to content

OB / OU splitter?

Mr Steve

Recommended Posts

Hello all,


I have acquired some of these boxes. They are marked as OB / OU and have a mic input, output and PA feed output. Inside there is a board with a couple of resistors on and a silver thingy, where all the wires go. Does anyone know what this is, and what it does?




Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks suspiciously like a classic Beeb eddy box. Yes, the silver thingy is a screened mic transformer. Can't remember what a LL/76/ASC is and my book with the colour codes is in the attic. It's probably a 1:1 600ohm tranny and the box appears to be wired mic in to mic through and then a padded down isolated output., so it's a mic splitter. OU OB might be open university (BBC production base at Milton Keynes) outside broadcast unit - I think they had one. The beeb used mic splitters a lot to isolate phantom feeds and provide electrical safety isolation from other organisations kit. The proper ones have an electrostatic screen between the primary and secondary so this looks like a home brew one. I've made them myself out of old equipment transformers.


......although, bizarrely, the screen seems to be carried through from input to output AND split which certainly wasn't normal practice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.