Is there an iPad app...

adamburgess

I'm playing with a trio of Gtr, Vox, and me on keys. We already have our drums and bass tracks bounced from Logic on to an iPad with BackTrax. But I'd like to run a MIDI track along with it to control our lighting... I'm doing it manually at the mo with an attached normal Apple Bluetooth keyboard perched on my Nord Stage controlling a Macbook off stage. Can be hit n miss sometimes hitting the right cue when I'm playing. At least the blackout is on the space bar!

Don't want to use a full sequencer for our list of 400 tunes!

I'm kinda stuck with the lighting side's MacBook to DMX interface for the moment.

Anyone any ideas? Thanks for your help!

Adam

I'll take a gander, thanks! Needs to be a simple front end for Ms. Singer, as she calls the tunes.

She's just used to a long list and a big green GO button. I'm sure I can get the Mac to do what it's told at that end

Also got my Korg Kronos doing all my MIDI patch changes on my rig and the audio mix on an old 01V (also offstage).

Might look at seeing if I can get that doing a sequence in the background, too...

Just had a very quick look. It'll remote control MIDI, which my (terrible) lighting software can learn, but how could I interface that with, say, a (terrible ha!) iTunes playlist that could change at any time...?

The iPad app isn't playing the Midi though - the Mac is playing the MIDI and the track, and the Mac is syncing it?

Sounds like QLab to me and the iPad remote app. I'm not sure if all of that would be licence free or if you would need licensing for any of that.

Hmm, yes, Tom. You're right. I need to rethink my stuff being on the iPad and just using it as a remote. Thanks for that.

And, don't mind paying for licenses at all. This is my current day job and why not if it makes life easy. I know Qlab has some regard round here but never really needed it.

QLab will let you run and audio and MIDI track in sync, though I'm not sure if you will need a midi licence.

Is there a way to run midi out of the iPad? If not then id keep them on one machine for syncing.

With regards to midi - is this just certain midi notes / commands at certain times in the song, or full midi notation - a musical midi track?

I think the QLab remote app might be about £20, not sure on the licensing cost if you need a midi licence as we have a full package so not sure about individual elements.

The remote works fairly well, group together the midi commands and audio track in one folder, put pre-waits or wait cues on the midi so they fire at the right time on the backing track, just select track & go

You will need any of the paid licenses for QLab to unlock MIDI cues - with v2 there used to be a MIDI licence but now it's included in any of the 5 paid options.

The remote will work with any license including free: you can see the full rundown of what each license does here: http://figure53.com/qlab/buy/

Note also that QLab 3.1 was released this week, which now has a demo mode in which all features are unlocked but you can't save, so you can try it that way.

Sounds great, thanks! I could run MIDI from the iPad with that flimsy camera thing or a dock which we have also but I'll keep all the content on the Mac, I reckon. I'll just use the iPad as a remote.

The MIDI track would be for lights alongside our rhythm section tracks (which I can keep as WAVs rather than mp3s now I've got unlimited disk space if they're on the Mac, which is better :-) ) with cues to trigger scenes and cues thru a MIDI bridge to the Easy Stand Alone software which can learn a keystroke or MIDI. Crappy to program but that's what we have.

I'll download it after tonight's escapades.

Archived