Turning off speakers when a door is closed.

pete10uk

Morning all

I'm having trouble finding the right search term to google what I'm after. I know a unit exist as I've seen them and remember thinking that would be useful at some point, but I can't remember what they were.

I'm after connecting a stereo amp to 4 x 8ohm speaker (2 x 2 in parallel per channel) the room is divided and I want the paralleled pair to turn off on closing of the door. I can attach a small reed switch and magnet to the sliding door as a trigger.

We are only talking 20w per channel, I could make something myself but I'm concerened about introducing buzz if I use a relay, so ideally I would like something made for audio.

Any pointer would be appreciated.

Cheers

You won't introduce any 'buzz' using a relay fed from a DC supply, even very unlikely if you use AC relays, controlled by a door sensor switch.

Try using one of the magnetic Alarm system switches, but be aware of the current and voltage ratings of these when choosing your relay

hope this assists

Mik

Archived