osal

Hi guys

I have been asked to find a local church a new projector

I don't know much about av so I thought I would ask here

it will be used for sunday morning services to display words

and a few days a week as a community cinema showing films for young families

for free

obviously the budget isn't unending

however they do want to get the right projector for the job.

they already have a screen that is 3m wide and

so I'm looking for a projector that will be high enough quality to show a film

the room is going to be blacked with blinds however for the sunday service the blinds will be open

thank you for your help

tom

Ideally folk will need to know throw distance and height offsetfrom lens to the top of image to give you some suggestions on a suitable projector.

Watch out for that ‘Free’ screenings – if you are showing copyrightedmovies you will still potentially require a licence and they are not Free.

http://www.themplc.co.uk/page/channel-overview

Joe

hi sorry guys

the distance can be anything, we have no issues rigging a point 1m to 30m away.

they haven't given me a exact budget but I would guess between the 2000 to 5000 guide line

as for the free screening they have looked into this. I have no input into this side I have just been brought in to assist the the technical side.

if you walked into my shop , told me all the above, id suggest the Panasonic PT Ez580. well within budget, hd resolution and bright enough for a reasonable sized screen. you want to rig the thing roughly twice the screen width from the screen, and the hdbaset reciever built in means that you have a simple means of getting hd video to it. Obviously other projectors are available, and other people have shops but thats what id probable sell you as you dont quite have the budget to take the next step up to a hd res dlp based unit. http://panasonic.net/avc/projector/products/ez580/.

Consider two projectors with a dual-head card, this will give you a wider screen and greater effective brightness for cinema, and for church use use one projector for presentation display and the second output on monitor only for presentation control.

I would consider looking at the panasonic laser / led machines. They are possibly a bit low on the brightness front but have a good image quality and do not need bulbs replacing. They also stand up better to dirt than LCD projectors which really need regular cleaning to avoid rapid deterioration of the image.

I've also been very impressed by the image quality of the Canon xeed LCOS projectors recently. They use the same technology that sony and JVC use in their top home cinema projectors and it does have some advantages over both LCD and single chip DLP.

Whatever you do get a decent quality machine from a big brand. Going for a cheapo from benq will be a bad idea in the longer term.

CheersTom

if you walked into my shop , told me all the above, id suggest the Panasonic PT Ez580. well within budget, hd resolution and bright enough for a reasonable sized screen. you want to rig the thing roughly twice the screen width from the screen, and the hdbaset reciever built in means that you have a simple means of getting hd video to it. Obviously other projectors are available, and other people have shops but thats what id probable sell you as you dont quite have the budget to take the next step up to a hd res dlp based unit. http://panasonic.net/avc/projector/products/ez580/.

How much do HDBaseT transmitters cost and does it come in at less than a pair of decent HDMI over cat5 baluns from someone like Kramer?

HDBT and HDBT lite single CAT solutions are generally a bit more costly than a Dual CAT solution - but do offer a range of benefits.

Take our Octava units as an example - Dual CAT £170 vs HDBT lite £270, both are single PSU and the Tx (Transmitter) is roughly half the cost of the Tx + Rx system.

Joe

HDBT is a "standard" unlike the various other cat 5 solutions so in theory its compatible across different manufactures products,but to be honest the main benefit is that a single cable carries Signal plus network and rs232 control which simplifies things. We have used a variety of different products and fibre optics etc, but we seem to have settled on HDBT specifically the kramer tp 581T transmitters either feeding TP 582R recievers or the built in receivers in the newer panasonic projectors. It seems to work well, but watch out for the HDBT lite products which are artificaily limited at 70m distance, from a fixed instal point of view theres no issue, but from a rental one its annoying when a box wont work on longer cable runs as its clever enough to know the cable length and turn off. We have been using kramers own heavy duty cat 7 equivelent cable and it works well , seems robust if inflexible and not nice to coil.

I recently did a multi projector job where the nearest unit was around 80m away, the furthest 140m. the signal distro was done on HDBT and the same cables also carried the network control which avoided running another half mile of cable which if youve ever coiled cables was a positive bonus...

Archived