MSD 250 lamp replacement

Alec97

yes, Philips lamps used to come from Belgium I seem to remember. I don't have have a particular issue if they come from china - china can produce goods at a quality as good as anywhere in the world, provided that budgets and QC are in place to suit.

the 5R is, at the end of the day, essentially a projector lamp adapted to another use. Such lamps, often classed as UHP ( ultra high pressure) are operating at much higher pressures than normal short arc discharge lamps, and are normally designed for static operation. I know that Philips made several changes, including thicker electrodes in the arc tube, but the lamp is substantially the same as a typical projector lamp.

In addition to explosive failure, I have also been noticing early devitrification of the arc tube on several lamps after around 600 hours of use.

sure they are very bright indeed for their power, so something else has to give, and I guess their normal mode of operation is much closer to the edge...

• 5 months later...

Archived