Sennheiser G3 v 2000 series

DavidHart

Hi,

I've been asked to spec some kit for a show, looking at a 4 way rack of handheld radios and a 4 way rack of IEM's.

Considering either a 4 way rack of EW500 G3's with 965 handhelds, ASA1 etc with a 4 way rack of EW300 G3 IEM's with AC 3 or a 4 way rack of EM2050 with 965's and a 4 way rack of SR2050 IEM's.

2000 series is quite a bit more dosh...is it worth it?

Many thanks.

I've never had a problem with my g3 300's they sound perfect for general conference use, however I had the need to rent in some extra sets and the company I used had 2000 serise. The difference in tone was quite noticeable, I wouldn't say worth the extra money for my level of work.

I now compare the difference to sennheiser xs range v my g3 300. I would judge the xs range as been only suitable for backup use at the level I'm at but that said there are plenty companies just supplying them.

The 2000's are defiantly better hence the price tag but some of the price is just down to the extre frequency range the have, I think it is a decision you need to make based on the level of gig it is.

I've never had a problem with my g3 300's they sound perfect for general conference use, however I had the need to rent in some extra sets and the company I used had 2000 serise. The difference in tone was quite noticeable, I wouldn't say worth the extra money for my level of work.

I now compare the difference to sennheiser xs range v my g3 300. I would judge the xs range as been only suitable for backup use at the level I'm at but that said there are plenty companies just supplying them.

The 2000's are defiantly better hence the price tag but some of the price is just down to the extre frequency range the have, I think it is a decision you need to make based on the level of gig it is.

Looking at the specs I'm not sure the 2000 series is enough of an incremental upgrade over the Evolution series to be worth the extra money. They have:

- Mini XLR rather than locking jack.

- Wider switching bandwidth, so covers more potential frequencies with the same kit.

- Slightly better signal to noise ratio.

- Better set of components, ie a dual receiver with integrated antenna distro and loop through.

- Can cope with a hotter input voltage before the front end cracks up.

The 3000,5000 and 9000 series are a completely different design but are much more expensive.

Archived