Variable Resistor ID

pete10uk

Hi all

I'm trying to ID and replace variable resistor which has fallen apart through use, mostly down to the fact the wrong tool has been used. I can't see any markings only perhaps 1K but this may be wishful thinking as the case is scratched. I would ideally like to replace it with a version which has a physical adjuster.

I have measured the resistance of the identical looking one next to it, and it reads between .629-.687 which is less than the range I was hoping to see for the a 1K resistor, is this to be expected?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

http://www.purplewaveav.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/BR-Resistor.jpg

If you don't take the resistor off the board, you are measuring the resistance of all possible paths, thus lower than you might expect.

Hope I'm not teaching egg-sucking...

Thanks,

No your not! I can swap parts and solder them back on with some quite neat soldering at times but the parts them selfs, apart from the basic operation has never been my strong point my brain just doesn't work that way.

Just removed the good one from the circuit but unfortunately that one has also now fallen to bits.

A bit of a design error as the pots as solid from the other side, the damage has occurred when using the wrong sized screw driver to make adjustments, which now means that you have to press on with too much pressure to get a grip and the force has just pushed the pot apart. If they were fitted the other way around that wouldn’t be an issue.

The second one also has something resembling a 1K mark so I think we'll try that.

* Edited as the 1KL was a mistake

You can measure the resistance on the 'outer' cover of the bits - the detached part in the foreground of the photo. The carbon track that defines the resistance is between the two metal contacts. The rest (still on the board) is just the wiper arm and support.

Pin dimensions and spacing may limit your choice of replacement...

That'll be a linear pot, a logarithmic pot would be 1kA.

Yes it does have an L on it as well. Sorry the 1KL on my previous post the L was an error

I have managed to reassemble to good one again and it has a range of 0-.85 allowing for a tolerance on my cheap meter and manufacturing I'd say that's a 1K.

I'll have a good look around for a replacement.

thanks

Archived