Selecon Pacific 2

Marineboy63

Has anyone had a problem with Pacific reflectors flaking through?

I've just started a bit of maintenance on our kit and several (most) of the Pacific mirror coatings are flaking to the point where you can see the heatsink through them and a shower of mirror glitter falls from the lantern when you open it.

At £100 a pop to replace them I'd like to know why they are failing or else I'll be doing it again before too long.

It look a bit like condensation damage to me. the room is quite heavily air conditioned.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Yep, our batch of 18 suffered fairly largely from this, they were supplied to us new in 2009. We did get them replaced by the supplier, but as ever with Selecon, the issue is the lead time if they aren't stock parts... The difficult thing is the degradation is gradual, so no always easy to spot if the lanterns stay reasonably stationary.

• 2 weeks later...

An email to Selecon reveals that the lifespan of the mirror is only five years. It's considered a consumable.

I think that's pretty poor for such an important component.

We have Strand, ETC and CCT stock which is more than thirty years old but still perfoms well if properly maintained.

I have always been a fan of Selecon but with thirty mirrors to replace at £100.00 a pop, I might look elsewhere when buying new lanterns in the future.

How big is the mirror? A quick Google revealed that several optic companies sell 50mm square mirrors for around £45. Some even offer bulk discounts.

??? :blink: What exactly would we be supposed to do with square mirrors, melt them into shape ourselves...?

How big is the mirror? A quick Google revealed that several optic companies sell 50mm square mirrors for around £45. Some even offer bulk discounts.

??? :blink: What exactly would we be supposed to do with square mirrors, melt them into shape ourselves...?

am I missing something here or are you on the crazy train? :)

An email to Selecon reveals that the lifespan of the mirror is only five years. It's considered a consumable.

I think that's pretty poor for such an important component.

There was definitely a bad batch. We got a trade rep on a Phillips stand to admit there was a bad batch in the early models which were flaking. Can't remember his name but he was a german guy on a Plasa stand about 3 years ago. I'll see if I can find any range of serial numbers (if there's a serial number on the body) as we have 48 and around a third of them have been flaking from about 2 years old.

They are a front-silvered, oval dichroic mirror, so unfortunately an oval bit of bathroom mirror doesn't quite cut it.

They have a 90degree bend in the body, and the light is reflected but the heat rises out of the top of the lantern (via a heat sink among the hottest around)

The idea is you can print your own gobos on acetate as the beam is so cool but in reality they still have a drastically short life.

http://www.seleconlight.com/images/stories/Anew/features/pac_heat_diagram.gif

am I missing something here or are you on the crazy train? :)

Nope, not missing anything, I'm clearly on the crazy train - my bad :oops:

Archived