Silent LED Par cans

howartp

We tested the waters with LED Par Cans about 4 years ago, with CPC's cheapest. We knew they'd probably not last but they've served us ok.

We're now looking at 4 or 6 more robust ones, RGBA or preferably RGBAW.

Light The Way showed us their hire model which I'm sure were silent, yet from what we researched a few months ago, they have fans in the model. (Can't remember which at moment)

Hopefully without getting into economies versus brightness versus anything else discussions that seem to happen around LEDs, does anyone know which models from say Thomann or elsewhere ARE silent/quiet?

I've a dozen QTX's at work which sound like aircraft.

Peter

The quickest way to ensure a silent led par is to buy IP65 rated fixtures, as they will have no fan as they have extra weight in aluminium for the heat dissipation. They are dearer than the indoor ones with fans.

Some of the newer indoor par cans with fans have better heat management and the fans can run slower when the light output is low.

Thanks for those replies.

I've just realised I must have been reading the wrong info a few months ago when I read that RGBA is RGB Alpha, where Alpha is relative saturation/dimmer - it appears that is the case in computer based image/colour systems, not in RGB stage LEDs.

So let me revise my requirements - I'm after RGB or RGBA/RGBW, as long as there's a master dimmer channel; it may be all decent models have the dimmer channel now but mine don't currently.

The LED254's look to be £220 inc VAT, and their RGBA counterparts LEDJ53 look to be £200. Is there anything reasonable nearer £150 per unit (or even £100??)

We are in that situation where being a Church first and foremost, and two separate drama groups second, we have to apply financial down-sizing to what me and my colleague (both involved in the theatre / tech world outside of our day jobs) would ideally use.

Peter

The LED254's look to be £220 inc VAT, and their RGBA counterparts LEDJ53 look to be £200. Is there anything reasonable nearer £150 per unit (or even £100??)

The simple answer is no - not for silent technology and RGBAW or at least not yet. The Intense are the "newcomers" to the market so applying a rough rule of thumb: it's going to be 12 months or so (perhaps) before that technology becomes cheaper. Even then - you're taking a gamble that the cost will fall given the complexity of the driver for the LED's.

I would suggest two approaches...

A. Consider using a mix of RGB and CW/WW units to do your cover - there are some nice COB units that run virtually silently to do the RGB

B. Talk to a ProLight dealer about the Intense price - there is some leeway for discounting - whilst not tremendous amounts, it might be enough to let you take a phased approach to replacement.

I've got some of the (older) Showtec Compact Par 18 Tri (also sold as the Chauvet Slip Par Pro Tri) which are remarkably good for the price but only RGB, they've also been rock-solid from a reliability point of view. Unfortunately the Mk II version is nowhere near as nice (the dimming is a bit more steppy and there's less colour consistency between units - also I've had two fail) however the price did drop considerably and they're probably available nearer your price.

The lower end of the LED market is definitely catching up though, but personally (even with amber and white or WW/CW) I'd still stick with traditional incandescent front light.

(Full disclosure and all that, I am associated with a company that sells the above products)

I'm about to take delivery of 18 of these: http://www.chauvetlighting.com/colordash-par-quad-18.html

which I've seen a demo of and was very impressed, probably a little beyond your price range but from what I've seen, you get what you pay for certainly applies with LED fixtures. If you want something which can compete with generic fixtures then you can't stint on the budget.

So let me revise my requirements - I'm after RGB or RGBA/RGBW, as long as there's a master dimmer channel; it may be all decent models have the dimmer channel now but mine don't currently.

The OP asked for a master dimmer channel in the fixtures - the point being if you use a computer based desk with virtual dimmers you don't necessarily need a master channel in the fixture.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

We still use traditional units for FOH and spots etc, including gels on Strand Patt's and MultiPars etc.

Given the Church LX bars are only 10 feet above the stage, or 15-18 feet if we use some FOH, we don't need the intense beams that pro theatres need to cover twice/three times that distance.

Has anyone experience of the ProLights series - yes, ProLightS, not Prolight? They look to be in a cheaper price bracket, though seem to be new to the UK market.

Peter

I have got some of these from Thomann:

http://images4.thomann.de/pics/prod/222332.jpg

http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_led_par64_pro_floor_36x3w_s.htm

They are currently £91 each

They do have fans but they run quite slowly and are virtually silent. We regularly use them in church services and unless you put your head up against them you can't hear the fan. The light output compares well with a 1K par when in deep colours. Pastels and white is probably similar to a 500W can and you get a bit of colour fringing due to the RGB split LEDs.

For the money they are great though.

NB. I have had mine for a while, I can't guarantee that Thomann will sell you the same thing. The photos look identical though.

I recently installed 12 stairville 24x3 watt polished led cans in a local church and they are perfect very bright almost silent they do have fans but the speed adjusts with the output of the light even on full power they are still quiet enough, the bishop is happy now people can see him :)

Archived