Wireless clip-on drum mics

Cheeseweasel

Just had this as a rider request for a band that do a lot of jumping around whilst playing big drums. I'm not having much luck finding anything, so before I ring their manager up I just thought I'd ask around here to see if anyone had come across and/or knows where to hire them.

Thanks in advance.

Just had this as a rider request for a band that do a lot of jumping around whilst playing big drums. I'm not having much luck finding anything, so before I ring their manager up I just thought I'd ask around here to see if anyone had come across and/or knows where to hire them.

Thanks in advance.

If this something like Taiko drums it may be better to mic the players than the drums.

Mac

So, just to update... most companies round here have plenty of radio mics and clip on drum mics (e604s etc), but no minijack to XLR to plug them into each-other (and I'm not prepared to spend time/money making them!).

Fortunately, the Sennheiser e908 has a locking minijack for easy connection to Sennheiser beltpacks, and APR have them in stock so I've hired a few.

I'd be reluctant to use the SKP direct on a drum mic - or indeed anything that involves clipping a beltpack to the drum. Use a cable, and keep the tx away from the drum.

Thinking of a similar situation a while back - Musical, the MD was also occasional drummer, and wanted a comms pack for cues. He clipped the tecpro BP111 to his drum kit near toms - the idea being that it was in his sight line, so could see the call lamp.

Halfway thru show, comms started intermittently dropping out. I traced fault to the leg that was going to the BP111 on the drumkit, and isolated it. All OK. When I got closer to investigate, I could smell that something had been burning.

Turns out that clipping the BP111 to the drum kit was a bad idea - one of the nuts holding the XLR in place had vibrated loose, and shorted across tracks on the PCB. One fried resistor.

So if you're clipping anything electrical to a drum, stick some threadlock on any nuts and bolts...

I'd be reluctant to use the SKP direct on a drum mic - or indeed anything that involves clipping a beltpack to the drum. Use a cable, and keep the tx away from the drum.

I think ultimately it depends on the drummer, the drums, and the mics and there is no blanket answer!

I know somebody who mics all the toms with MD421s and the snare with an RE20. These are big mics which are on their own stands so I see no reason at all why an SKP would be a bad choice. The band are quite laid back in style and the drummer very good and very accurate, so it's all safe.

On a 904 with a mental punk metal drummer, it'd be a whole other ball game just for the chances of it being smashed into a thousand pieces.

These are big mics which are on their own stands so I see no reason at all why an SKP would be a bad choice.

You obviously didn't notice the bit in the original post where he said "a band that do a lot of jumping around whilst playing big drums" and the subject that said "Wireless clip-on drum mics"....... but, yes, if you insist, the SKP is the ideal solution to a completely different problem....

Archived