strand act 6+

Ricky

I hope someone can help, I have an issue with 2 of my dimmers, 1 of them only has channel 1 and 2 working and the other only channel 6. I have tried addressing them to different addresses and the same thing happens, the fuses are good. does anyone have any idea what the issue could be?

Hi Ricky

I don't know the Act 6+ dimmer. Is it possible to use the test button/s to test the other channels?

Because you talk of addressing I'm assuming you are using DMX (please correct me if I'm wrong)

which lighting desk/control board/software/dongle are you using?

I recommend addressing both dimmers to 1, connecting them both to your desk with a piece of cable that you know is good

and see what the result is when you control each channel. Make sure the desk is patched 1-2-1.

Hope this helps

Mark

On both dimmers the test button works fine bringing on channel 1. Anything else I wouldn't know were to start testing.

Each channel has a test button - not just channel 1 - does each test button correctly operate its channel, or do the channels which don't work still not work with the test button?

Have they been working or have you just acquired them and discovered them to not be working?

The reason for asking is that for a pair of channels to be working on a rack that could be used on single phase or three phase power supplies might suggest that there's an issue with the power in to the racks - that channel 1&2 on one unit and only channel 6 on the other are working lead me to start there. Typically, I would expect either channels stuck on which is usually a short circuit (or blown) triac or for channels not to dim properly e.g. no light below 50% then the channel snaps to full.

I think you're going to have to get someone to take the covers off and look inside but be careful - the Act 6 can be a veritable rats nest of cables inside...

These are dimmers we have had since new and were working before, they are working on single phase 32A supplies. I have someone who said they can take a look as it's just dead channels no stuttering or stuck on.

Thanks for the help

Analogue, D54, or DMX? I have seen similar symptoms from a dying D54 demux.

As you have a couple of units with different symptoms you could swap the demuxes (just a couple of screws on the front and a 10 way connector at the back of the board). Then you can see whether the symptoms travel with the demuxes or stay with the main box. If you have Multimuxes (with DMX and D54 inputs) then beware of leaking electrolytics. I've fixed several of these with corroded pads and tracks caused by the electrolyte.

Dave

Archived