ZLX-12P flying options?

TomHoward

Afternoon all

Should have checked this before I bought half a dozen of them (as mons) but are there any options as all for flying a ZLX12-P?

If I was to make up a full frame like one of the Nexo frames how would I go about finding the point of balance etc - does anyone have any pointers on that?

These is mainly for very occasional use for spot effects etc, or on winch stands outdoor to give more height.

Thanks, Tom

As long as they have a strong adjustable yoke, the centre of balance shouldn't that important.

Normal way is to build a frame that incorporates a speaker pole spigot in the bottom of it, and slots together in 2 parts, then the speaker is being held securely. The frame will obviously end up positioned in line with the top hat. If it wants to lean slightly forwards or back, you can compensate in the yoke adjustment.

EV specifically warn against outdoor/wet weather use of them, they are active/powered via an IEC after all, and they have no facility for flying.

They aren't the right tool for the job. Sorry to be negative but you did mention outdoors.

1404029407[/url]' post='502978']

Afternoon all

Should have checked this before I bought half a dozen of them (as mons) but are there any options as all for flying a ZLX12-P?

If I was to make up a full frame like one of the Nexo frames how would I go about finding the point of balance etc - does anyone have any pointers on that?

These is mainly for very occasional use for spot effects etc, or on winch stands outdoor to give more height.

Thanks, Tom

EV list ZLX BRK on their website may be of some use ?

They're certainly not our go-to for outdoors, we have plenty of more appropriate stuff, but they are really easy for quick summer jobs where slightly more quality than the 100V horns/speakers is required and cable runs aren't significant. In these situations they are manned and RCD'd - at the moment we have used them for this on a couple of occasions and we use use a wind-up pole for each individual speaker - which is okay but needs a lot of stands. If we could frame them we could fly two on a stand.

It's usually music for cricket matches or tennis commentary. If it's staying up unmanned or overnight we use 100V horns or music horns.

There is a wall bracket but it does take a little work to fit and requires removing and re-fitting case parts - and it's so far off the centre of balance I'd probably have to do some work to fly with it so I may make something that uses the same bolt holes.

I think I see what you are saying with the two-part frame. I was looking at frames like this

http://mypowerdrive.com/php/assets/Powerdrive_Flying_Frames.jpg

but I thought sitting on the top hat alone (even though there's a screw) is a bit weak.

To be honest it may not be worth my while but it's just a missing feature from our SX300s which we did have flying hardware for (although we only used it a couple of times a year)

the zlz-12p have a specific eq setting for bracket mounting (I used a pair as temporary stand ins last week) - which made me curious. if they have a bracket setting, surely they have a bracket?

so a little google search and I found the bracket:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/ev_zlx_u_braket.htm

and a supplier (just for illustration) that shows the mounting options

http://www.sbl.sk/p/827/zlx-brkt

and links to a mounting manual:

http://www.sbl.sk/files/pdf/ev-pdf/ZLX/zlx-wall-mount-bracket-installation.pdf

it seems pretty obvious that ev intend them for wall mount only and don't event offer a tilt option for the wall bracket unless you install horizontally.

if you DID install horizontally on a bar, there would be nothing to stop you fixing a couple of clamps at the mounting points - in effect (weather aside) that should be a reasonably facsimile of their horizontal wall mounting. obviously that's going to restrict the dispersion a bit so I'm not sure how far that gets you.

Archived