Cyc wash lighting

revbobuk

... at the bottom end of the dimmer curve they tend to snap off - it's a function of the flicker free PSU apparently but one of our customers 'tamed' it by using some ND gel over the batten to shift the bottom up a little.

The only "budget" end fixtures that seem to have got round this are from Chauvet.

The steppy dimming factor is really important for cyc lighting because when you are doing a subtle colour change on a cyc with one of the colours going to or from zero (like a sunrise...) the stepping is horribly obvious and distracting.

I just helped out on a show which had the cyc lit with some Batmink/Visage battens and a beautiful sunset effect was really spoiled by the red channel stepping down to zero.

I would commend the Chroma-Q Colour Force 72 - AC-ET have some in their "Used" section as it happens.

I came across them at the Strode Theatre in Street and they really are very good

The picture below - with house and working lights on - may help.

KC

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f184/kclx1/Streetcyc_zpsfbe89c6e.jpg

Nice and wide, barn doors, all metal construction, and pretty solid. I was quite impressed.

Hmmm...

How you getting on with those barn doors...?

Some of our (admittedly cheaper) LED tri-colour wash lights cam with doors to fit, but after trying one, I ditched them as it really didn't work very well at cutting the edges...

Hello..

I would have a look at the Chroma-Q Color Force battens. RGBA, amazing dimming and even wash... They are great units.

cheers!

And the fact that you work for AC-ET would have nothing to do with that recommendation, obviously ...

We've got ColorKinetics ColorBlaze units on our cyc (10x6.5m) at present. Unlike traditional floods they need to be rigged touching the cyc, then pointing straight up, and due to their incredibly tight beam angle they light all the way up/down with very little variation. There is a little colour mixing messy area immediately in front of the fixture, so my preference is to light top down, with the mess lost behind a border. To get it seamless they must be rigged touching, with no gaps between units, which can take a bit of juggling around hanging clamps etc, but is easier when uplighting.

It's quite rare for me to take the cyc beyond 50% with these units. We've also had them on a much taller cyc when out and about, and the units had no issue evenly washing all the way up. Colour mixing isn't bad, but being older design RGB units we struggle for the hotter colours in the amber areas, and for a good white without going too lavender in the tint.

Hello..

I would have a look at the Chroma-Q Color Force battens. RGBA, amazing dimming and even wash... They are great units.

cheers!

And the fact that you work for AC-ET would have nothing to do with that recommendation, obviously ...

As the Ken Coker that doesn't work for AC-ET I would still commend them. Expensive - about £7K for the Strode set-up, but their administrator says the fixtures are paying their way. Having said that, the Strode is a campus/school based theatre that does lots of open stage/musical type stuff so the cyc does get a lot of use. I suppose the original poster might want to consider what the cyc he is lighting is made of; the one in my picture above is a solid white painted wall, but other materials will obviously perform differently.

Hi All

Many thanks for the recommendation Ken, great pic by the way!

Just to be clear.....although we do indeed have a Ken Coker who works for us, A.C. have a policy to be open and up front on here and other sites to identify ourselves.

I'd be more than happy to arrange any demo equipment should anyone like to see the Color Force in action. It really is an excellent fixture of which we are very proud of........although I would say that :P :D

James

Archived